Posted to alt.home.repair

Default wire nuts

Is it permissible to secure several solid and stranded #14 wires with wire
nuts?
Any preparation necessary?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Seamus J. Wilson wrote:
Is it permissible to secure several solid and stranded #14 wires with wire
nuts?
Any preparation necessary?

Strip to length recommended per wire nut instructions and stay within
the numbers for which the size of nut is approved (also on the box). If
that's close to upper limit I'll go to next larger size.

Generally, strip the stranded longer than the solid so have adequate
length as they wrap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Seamus J. Wilson wrote:
Is it permissible to secure several solid and stranded #14 wires with wire
nuts?
Any preparation necessary?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

It should work fine. Sometimes stranded conductors will start to twist
away when I start to screw on a wire nut, making a less secure
connection. If the stranded conductors are bundled with solid
conductors, all straight, the solid conductors may keep the stranded
ones from twisting too soon.

There's a big difference in wire nuts. The first twist-on connectors
contained no metal. Threaded ceramic thimbles are still used. The
first ones called wire nuts had no insulation. They were springs that
would expand around the conductors as they were screwed on.

I prefer the kind where the spring has plenty of room to expand. The
connection feels very secure, and one size nut is approved for a wide
range of bundle sizes. The box should tell you if a wire nut is
approved for what you want to do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Seamus J. Wilson" wrote in message
Is it permissible to secure several solid and stranded #14 wires with wire
nuts?
Any preparation necessary?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

Sure, I would twist together the solid conductors first, then the stranded
on top, then the nut. If they're in a damp location, squirt some antiox
paste into the wire nut first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is it permissible to secure several solid and stranded #14 wires with
wire
nuts?
Any preparation necessary?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

Sure, I would twist together the solid conductors first, then the stranded
on top, then the nut. If they're in a damp location, squirt some antiox
paste into the wire nut first.

*I agree with this method. Use your pliers to twist the wires together.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Grabowski wrote:

Is it permissible to secure several solid and stranded #14 wires with
wire
nuts?
Any preparation necessary?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

Sure, I would twist together the solid conductors first, then the
stranded on top, then the nut. If they're in a damp location, squirt
some antiox paste into the wire nut first.

*I agree with this method. Use your pliers to twist the wires together.

Is antiox paste approved for copper? There are special wire nuts
approved for damp or wet locations.

I have a box of Ideal 71B, a box of Buchanan B2-1, and a box of GB
10-086. All say to hold the conductors together without twisting. Two
combine solid with stranded conductors, two say the ends of the stranded
should be slightly ahead of the solids. The Buchanans say this is
necessary only with 16-gage or smaller stranded conductors.

Holding untwisted conductors together to put on a wire nut can be
tricky, but I like the way a wire nut feels as it screws down on
conductors that haven't been pretwisted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

E Z Peaces wrote:
Two
combine solid with stranded conductors,

To combine.... Darn!

Charts for wire nuts and the combinations of wires that can go in each color? StarMan Home Repair 7 April 20th 08 05:14 AM
High Voltage Wire Nuts? [email protected] Electronics Repair 27 May 4th 06 11:22 AM
Wire nuts gordonpuk UK diy 24 April 25th 06 09:52 PM
Using Splicers and Tap Connectors with Aluminum Wiring instead of Twist On Wire Nuts? Harry Muscle Home Repair 7 October 28th 05 09:01 PM
Using Splicers and Tap Connectors with Aluminum Wiring instead of Twist On Wire Nuts? Harry Muscle Home Ownership 7 October 28th 05 09:01 PM