Posted to alt.home.repair
E Z Peaces E Z Peaces is offline

Default wire nuts

Seamus J. Wilson wrote:
Is it permissible to secure several solid and stranded #14 wires with wire
nuts?
Any preparation necessary?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

It should work fine. Sometimes stranded conductors will start to twist
away when I start to screw on a wire nut, making a less secure
connection. If the stranded conductors are bundled with solid
conductors, all straight, the solid conductors may keep the stranded
ones from twisting too soon.

There's a big difference in wire nuts. The first twist-on connectors
contained no metal. Threaded ceramic thimbles are still used. The
first ones called wire nuts had no insulation. They were springs that
would expand around the conductors as they were screwed on.

I prefer the kind where the spring has plenty of room to expand. The
connection feels very secure, and one size nut is approved for a wide
range of bundle sizes. The box should tell you if a wire nut is
approved for what you want to do.