Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Building Collapse....

"Tony" wrote in message
Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 07:42:50 -0600, dpb wrote:

Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 11:38:35 -0500, Tony
wrote:

jeff_wisnia wrote:
A more complete set of photos of this June's Shanghai building

collapse
and diagrams explaining what happened and why.

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/bldg_fall/
I'm glad I don't live there, I'd never remember which apartment is

mine,
they all look alike, even the ones that are different look very

similar.
Well if the flat one was my building I suppose I could pick it out

of
the rest.

What is with the hollow pilings? They really look weak with a little
bit of steel wire mesh in them. Hollow? Would it have happened if

it
were steel I beams encased in concrete?

It's a little hard to see in the photos but to me it looks like the
pilings were actually made by first driving metal piles into the
ground and then filling the inside of them and encasing the outside of
them in concrete. most likely they drilled a hole to some depth, then
dropped the piles in and drove them deeper, then backfilled it all
with concrete with some rebar.
I didn't see any rebar of any size at all anywhere in any of the

pictures...

There is some. Go to the very bottom picture, it's the best one for
seeing the rebar and the steel pile. Upper left corner of the photo.

Evidently that one piece of rebar wasn't enough. ;-)

If that was a NYC building, the foundation would be packed with dead
mobsters instead of rebar. (-"

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"news.eternal-september.org" wrote in message
In eonecommunications,
jeff_wisnia typed:
A more complete set of photos of this June's Shanghai building
collapse and diagrams explaining what happened and why.

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/bldg_fall/

Jeff

lol, with a little bracing, that coule be turned into another building

just
as it sets! Imagine the room dimensions!

Architect I.M. Pei once said that we should reconsider our love of
skyscrapers, particularly in earthquake zones because "Someday, the world's
tallest building may end up being the world's longest one." I think he may
be right if this is how they're being built.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Building Collapse - Coal Mining Deaths

"CWLee" wrote in message
stuff snipped
I can provide the links I read from the
search I described above, but I suggest
any other skeptics do a similar search
of their own. I now believe the annual
deaths in China from coal mining are in
the 5,000-10,000 range, not
approximately 100,000.

Best regards to all

Excellent catch, sir. I never failed to be amazed at how erroneous (and
nearly unbelievable) information gains a monstrous life of its own on the
Internet. Who hasn't done a Google search on a phrase in, say Wikipedia,
only to find that 100 other sites have lifted the information? Sometimes
it's verbatim, but sometimes is been subject to editing that subverts the
original meaning, often with a nefarious agenda. My "favorite" (sarcasm
alert) false numbers are war casualty statistics, loosely based on the "we
lost no one, they lost everyone" theory.

I wonder, in this case, how much of the repetition of the outrageously
highly initially quoted death toll is due to good faith transposition errors
or a desire to believe that life is valueless, or near so, in China.
Actually, what I think it says is that China is much, much larger than the
US, so the numbers alarm us disproportionately, and that the Chinese are
mining an enormous amount of coal. We had some pretty serious mine death
figures in the US until we got serious about mine safety (the Feds, not the
industry - they came along screaming ever inch of the way). This Mine
Safety and Health Administration site

http://www.msha.gov/DISASTER/DISASTER.HTM

will show that the US and China have had some very parallel experiences when
it comes to lots of miners dying yearly. Hopefully, they'll clean up their
act as we did.

BTW, no offense meant to any posters here in this thread - I am sure no one
falsified any statistics. It's just well known that if you take any group,
from football teams to political parties to nations, there's SOMEONE that's
got a bone to pick with them. Falsifying statistics is a time-honored way
of doing that!)

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 14:52:40 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"news.eternal-september.org" wrote in message
In eonecommunications,
jeff_wisnia typed:
A more complete set of photos of this June's Shanghai building
collapse and diagrams explaining what happened and why.

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/bldg_fall/

Jeff

lol, with a little bracing, that coule be turned into another building

just
as it sets! Imagine the room dimensions!

Architect I.M. Pei once said that we should reconsider our love of
skyscrapers, particularly in earthquake zones because "Someday, the world's
tallest building may end up being the world's longest one." I think he may
be right if this is how they're being built.

I remember a Monty Python episode where a building was held up by the
belief of the residents that it was going to stay up. I guess these
folks just didn't believe enough.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message
eonecommunications...
A more complete set of photos of this June's Shanghai building collapse and diagrams explaining
what happened and why.

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/bldg_fall/

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Hey, I really don't understand what the big deal is here. It's just an extreme case of "flip this
house"!

;^)

Eric Law