Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is my ceiling going to collapse?

I live in a 60's ex-council 2 bed end terrace and a couple of years ago
I boarded out the loft to store a few bits and bobs. The few bits and
bobs has now grown into masses of heavy stuff, loads of car parts,
books, records, and general crap. It's really heavy. The length of the
loft is about 25ft, theres a chimney breast right in the middle that
comes down in the middle of the 2 bedrooms and a partition wall
separates the 2 rooms.

We have recently had a baby, and while we didn't really care before,
now we are worried that the ceiling might cave in or something. I don't
know if I'm just being paranoid or whether this is a nightmare waiting
to happen. We have had multiple runs to the tip to try and deplete the
piles of stuff up there but as we have very little storage space in the
house, there is still what could only be considered a heavy load up
there. I probably go up there once every couple of days for something
so it gets it's fair share of movement too, although not as much as it
would if it was lived in.

Can anyone suggest how dangerous this is, and if it's not dangerous,
will it cause any damage to the house (other than the odd hairline
crack in the ceiling.

Can anyone advise on this? Is it possible to get a builder to reinforce
it, and is it expensive?

Thanks!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 25, 3:10 pm, wrote:
[...]

It usually takes a lot to actually break through a ceiling. You'll
probably be fine although I don't doubt that it could happen in theory.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If it is noticebaly bowed, than start getting slightly concerned.
Wood bends a LONG way before it breaks. Unless its rotten..

I have hung two tons on an 8 ft long 6x3 beam end supported..

The middle dropped about 9" but it held..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If it is noticebaly bowed, than start getting slightly concerned.
Wood bends a LONG way before it breaks. Unless its rotten..

I have hung two tons on an 8 ft long 6x3 beam end supported..

The middle dropped about 9" but it held..

One way of getting yer wallet out of yer pocket

;-0)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the replies.

It's hard to tell the size of the beams as when I boarded it out I went
mad and did every last bit, covering them all. I don't know much about
the construction but when you say beams I assume you mean the ones the
that the insulation goes between. It looks like they are just over 1.5"
thick and spaced about 15" apart. Not sure how deep they are but I'll
try to get another look tomorrow. The wall is NOT brick, just a
plasterboard wall. Most of the stuff is stacked up near the end outside
wall and down the sides where the roof comes down to meet the loft
floor. Some stuff is stacked up next to the chimney breast. Most of
this is over the spare room where I work, but there are a load of books
stacked up against the wall between our house and next doors which is
over our bed. They are stacked close to the wall as I thought this
would provide more support, but I suppose if they do come down, they
come down on our bed which we might be in.... Self storage might be the
answer, I don't want to take any risks with the baby. (if it comes down
on me while I work in the spare room it won't be too nice but as long
as my family are not in any danger I'll take the chance!)

There's no bowing that I can notice anywhere and there's no cracks in
the ceiling in the bedroom. One hairline crack that runs the length of
the spare room, right down the middle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Jan, 21:56, wrote:

There's no bowing that I can notice anywhere and there's no cracks in
the ceiling in the bedroom. One hairline crack that runs the length of
the spare room, right down the middle.

no big problem then is there.

NT