Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are Circuit Breakers Over-rated?

OP He So here is the $800 estimate:

Removing the existing 60-amp fuse box, meter socket and service
cable.
Install a 100 amp service with a 20 circuit panel
Run 30 ft. of 1-- amp service cable and install a new meter socket.
Install an 8 ft. ground rod and wire it to the panel.
Supply new connectors, straps, circuit breakers and a service head.
Mark the main appliances in the house.

Anything I should question? Thanks again
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 8:50�am, Jeffy3 wrote:
OP He So here is the $800 estimate:

Removing the existing 60-amp fuse box, meter socket �and service
cable.
Install a 100 �amp service with a 20 circuit panel
Run 30 ft. of 1-- amp service cable and install a new meter socket.
Install an 8 ft. ground rod and wire it to the panel.
Supply new connectors, straps, circuit breakers and a service head.
Mark the main appliances in the house.

Anything I should question? Thanks again

more breaker capacity is always a good thing.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 8:50*am, Jeffy3 wrote:
OP He So here is the $800 estimate:

Removing the existing 60-amp fuse box, meter socket *and service
cable.
Install a 100 *amp service with a 20 circuit panel
Run 30 ft. of 1-- amp service cable and install a new meter socket.
Install an 8 ft. ground rod and wire it to the panel.
Supply new connectors, straps, circuit breakers and a service head.
Mark the main appliances in the house.

Anything I should question? Thanks again

Is it Oppie of Jeffy...?

Not sure where you are, but around here if an electrician gave me that
number I'd either kick him out the door figuring he was not legit and/
or crazy, or kiss the guy. Are there permits involved? How does the
utility figure into the changeover?

In any event, figuring materials are roughly the same, and the amount
of time involved, it is a good price wherever you are.

I would suggest that marking all circuits would be a good idea, and
should be done at the time of changeover. It's easier if you start
identifying circuits at the time of the disconnect. Put on all the
lights and plug in some low wattage things to most of the receptacles
(radios and lamps are good) and turn them on. When he turns off a
circuit, you'll be running around making a list of what got killed.
Staying in contact with the guy on a cell phone or walkie talkie helps
a lot while you're doing this.

To the extent that the existing wiring allows it, put lighting and
receptacles on different circuits (might not be possible at all).
Have a GFI breaker installed to cover the kitchen wet location
receptacles unless you already have GFI receptacles. If it's only one
outlet, such as in a bathroom, ask the guy which he would do more
cheaply, swap out the receptacle or install a breaker. It's kind of
an odd question normally as a single GFI is about four times cheaper
than a GFI breaker, but he'll already be in the basement and won't
have to go messing about elsewhere in the house. Obviously if you can
protect a number of outlets, the GFI breaker is the way to go.

I think you are going about this in an intelligent way. Asking the
questions up front and posting back with follow up information. Going
off half-cocked can get you half-killed or half-angry. Good luck
with the project.

15 amp rated light switch and outlets on a 20 amp circuit breaker Eric and Megan Swope Home Repair 25 August 13th 19 07:47 PM
Are Circuit Breakers Over-rated? RicodJour Home Repair 2 November 5th 09 01:13 AM
Are Circuit Breakers Over-rated? Jeffy3 Home Repair 58 November 3rd 09 10:25 PM
circuit breakers frank Home Repair 14 December 28th 06 11:58 PM
Do circuit breakers die of old age? [email protected] UK diy 12 November 10th 06 01:16 PM