Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are Circuit Breakers Over-rated?

On Nov 3, 5:12*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 2, 9:48 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

When I had my 60 amp fused service upgraded to a 150 amp breaker
panel a bunch of years back, it required a new service cable from
the bugs at the top of the house through the meter and then to the
panel. I don't recall if it required new wires from the pole to the
bugs.

I don't think it safe to "assume" that all the OP needs is a breaker
box and a screwdriver to upgrade to 200 amps.

Oh. Right. What I meant to imply was that he could put in a 200 Amp
service panel even if he is currently hooked-up with only 60 Amp
service from the power company.

You didn't imply it, you said it. *You said you can get everything at
a big box store (they're selling experience and code knowledge now?),
and it would only take an afternoon's work. *No caveats, no "check to
see", nothing except, "Hey, it ain't hard."

Right. You can't buy experience. In this case, however, none is needed
(beyond common sense and the ability to work a screwdriver). As for code
compliance, in most of the country you can't buy that either because it
doesn't exist.

Hey! You set your new personal best! You went two whole sentences
before your bull**** started. Well...one sentence and an
ejaculation. Sadly the code thing ruined your record. All 50 states
and DC have adopted either the IRC or the IBC.
Do a little reading and learn something:
http://bulk.resource.org/codes.gov/

I live in the 3rd largest city in the nation and the city is
indifferent to what you do to your home. Since we don't have zoning, I can
even tear the house down and erect a gas station.

You're in Chicago? Curious, that's the third largest city, they have
zoning and they have at least their share of codes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population
and
http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/w...OID=-536883465

Perhaps, along with everything else, you are confused about where your
burg fits in the scheme of things. Assuming that you meant the 4th
most populous city, Houston, let's see about Houston's code...nope -
doesn't support your case.
http://www.reedconstructiondata.com/...texas/houston/

As far as the zoning thing, yep, there is no official zoning code in
Houston the same way that a bribe is not an official expense/tax.
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...ract_id=837244
Perhaps you don't like Florida and you don't like lawyers, so here's
another take:
http://www.businessweek.com/the_thre...uston_get.html

Face it, you're full of ****, you give bad advice, and you either lie
about things or you just don't know your ass from your elbow about
building codes and such. It's okay - everybody starts out ignorant.
It's not okay to claim to be an expert on things where you're not, and
it's definitely not okay to give bad advice to people while claiming
to be an expert on things where you are not. Stick with the saw blade
art.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
RicodJour wrote:

On Nov 4, 3:43*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

It's a difficult call.

Not really. Let's review the events and weigh the facts:
You like to act like a bumpkin and give stupid advice to people on
Usenet.
You give bad advice when you have no clue where the person is located
or what their abilities are, and somehow these things are unimportant
to you.
You spout bull**** about conditions where you live that is wrong.
You then call anything not in your area, or people that don't ignore
the things you do, benighted.
You make bad assumptions on pretty much everything.

So the call is...you give bad advice and don't know what you are
talking about.
Not really difficult at all to see when you look at it objectively.

At first I didn't believe you when you said you went to law school. I
have changed my opinion. You did not say you are a lawyer, you said
you went to law school, so that means either you couldn't hack it in
law school (my guess), or didn't finish for some other reason (you
couldn't hack it), or finished school and couldn't pass the bar
(pretty fair second guess), or you were a lawyer and got disbarred.

Most people have a low enough opinion of lawyers as it is, so you
would be doing the legal profession a favor by not mentioning your
failed attempt at law.

You would be doing everybody a favor if you thought before you started
tapping the keyboard. It's a lot to ask, I know, but why not give it
a shot - you might surprise everyone.

Not disagreeing with your observations, necessarily, but I consider our
Resident Texas Redneck to be one of our a.h.r. color commentators. He
has a fine grasp of the English language, and is often quite funny. His
humor is often hyperbolic and easy to spot, but it's also often dry and
could slip by a semi-comatose reader.

I take everything everyone here says with a grain of salt. If anyone
stumbling in here is so naive that they'd be unable to spot or verify
bad advice from an anonymous person on usenet, and blindly follow it,
well, uh, they get what they get.

As far as whether an idiot can change a service panel: A friend of mine
built a small but beautiful home a number of years ago, pretty much
single-handedly. To my frequent expressions of awe as the work
progressed, he always insisted that if I could use a tape measure, a
saw, and a hammer, I could do it, too. Sure, that's theoretically true,
but "a man's got to know his limitations." If he doesn't, he ought not
blame "bad advice."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

Not disagreeing with your observations, necessarily, but I consider
our Resident Texas Redneck to be one of our a.h.r. color
commentators. He has a fine grasp of the English language, and is
often quite funny. His humor is often hyperbolic and easy to spot,
but it's also often dry and could slip by a semi-comatose reader.

It sometimes gets me in trouble. On a recent return trip from Phoenix, a
teeny Transportation Security Administration agentette tapped me on the
shoulder and asked: "Excuse me sir, can I get you to do me a big favor?"

I looked down at her, slowly shook my head, and replied: "I'm sorry, I
can't. I'm married."

Trust me, the TSA does NOT have a sense of humor, dry or otherwise.

They selected four of us for "additional RANDOM screening." The picked me, a
senior white male, a senior black male, a young Oriental woman, and a young,
goateed, Hispanic male. (Like we can't count?)

While one of the agents is rummaging through the Hispanic guy's laptop
(evidently looking for bomb-making recipes), I said to him: "You know, you
look more like a terrorist than the rest of us, so Ix-nay on any funny
business."

The agent looks up from her important work and says indignantly: "There's no
such thing as what a terrorist looks like!"

"There damn sure is," I reply. "They're middle-eastern males with names like
Achmed al-BoomBoom."

That got me ANOTHER talking-to.

Oh well.

I figured I could get away with it because Sky Harbor Airport has a
reputation. In January 2002 (right after 9-11) a fellow tries to sneak a
weapon (a Ninja-Star thingy) aboard his flight. He's pulled out of line by
security and talked strong to. Come to find out, this dude was responsible
for bringing down 34 aircraft with the loss of life of everybody aboard!

His name was Joe Foss. Former governor of South Dakota, brigadier general in
the National Guard, former commissioner of the American Football League and
former president of the National Rifle Association. For twenty-four years he
was the host of the TV program "The American Sportsman." He was on his way
to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point to deliver a guest lecture on
patriotism.

The "Ninja-Star" that got everybody so exercised? It was the Medal of Honor
given him by Franklin Roosevelt for downing 23 Japanese aircraft during the
battle of Guadacanal.

When told he could board his flight if he discarded this potential weapon,
he is reported to have said: "You've done ****ed with the wrong Marine,
sonny."

The only way this sorry episode could have been more ironic would be if it
had happened at Joe's hometown airport in Sioux Falls. The name of that
airport is "Joe Foss Field."

15 amp rated light switch and outlets on a 20 amp circuit breaker Eric and Megan Swope Home Repair 25 August 13th 19 07:47 PM
Are Circuit Breakers Over-rated? Jeffy3 Home Repair 58 November 3rd 09 10:25 PM
circuit breakers frank Home Repair 14 December 28th 06 11:58 PM
Do circuit breakers die of old age? [email protected] UK diy 12 November 10th 06 01:16 PM
New circuit breakers Scott Smith Home Ownership 11 October 21st 04 12:56 PM