Posted to alt.home.repair

Default shower stall bottom half inch crack

My shower stall has a half inch crack. It is about 8 inches from
the drain. Lowe's and Home Depot has fiber glass repair kits but
those are for holes, I think, not for small cracks.

How do I repair a small crack? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

John Smith wrote:
My shower stall has a half inch crack. It is about 8 inches from
the drain. Lowe's and Home Depot has fiber glass repair kits but
those are for holes, I think, not for small cracks.

How do I repair a small crack? Thanks.

Uh, 1/2" x 8" is not a small crack. It is a failure.
Bite the bullet, get it replaced, and get it over with. A crack in the
field like that means insufficient support below. Not to mention, it has
likely been leaking for awhile, and you have subfloor problems to deal
with. Is there finish space below? Can you get to the bottom side of
shower and look for traces of a leak?

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
aemeijers wrote in
:

John Smith wrote:
My shower stall has a half inch crack. It is about 8 inches from
the drain. Lowe's and Home Depot has fiber glass repair kits but
those are for holes, I think, not for small cracks.

How do I repair a small crack? Thanks.

Uh, 1/2" x 8" is not a small crack. It is a failure.
Bite the bullet, get it replaced, and get it over with. A crack in the
field like that means insufficient support below. Not to mention, it has
likely been leaking for awhile, and you have subfloor problems to deal
with. Is there finish space below? Can you get to the bottom side of
shower and look for traces of a leak?

--
aem sends...

What he said...

An hour after I posted that, the light bulb went off, and I realized
that he meant a 1/2" long crack, 8" from the drain....

Same advice still holds, but he may be able to buy a few weeks (to save
up $ and get people in for estimates) by roughing up the area,
degreasing it, and hitting it with epoxy or something. It'll look like
hell, but if can get something to stick to the gelcoat, it may keep the
water in.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
John Smith wrote:
My shower stall has a half inch crack. It is about 8 inches from
the drain. Lowe's and Home Depot has fiber glass repair kits but
those are for holes, I think, not for small cracks.

How do I repair a small crack? Thanks.

Uh, 1/2" x 8" is not a small crack. It is a failure.

Might want to reread that.. ;-)