Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need Help with Sears 12" Lower Blade Guard retaining spring repair

All;

I mistakenly took apart the lower blade guard on my Sears 12" Compound
Miter Saw Model 315.212050, and the retaining spring popped out. I
can't seem to get it coiled up behind the guard again and get it back
together. Is there a secret method? I am in the middle of a big
project and can't let saw go to Sears repair in Penn. Local Rochester
tool repair places do not work on Sears gear. ANy suggestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 2:21*pm, Ned Foley wrote:
All;

I mistakenly took apart the lower blade guard on my Sears 12" Compound
Miter Saw *Model 315.212050, and the retaining spring popped out. *I
can't seem to get it coiled up behind the guard again and get it back
together. *Is there a secret method? *I am in the middle of a big
project and can't let saw go to Sears repair in Penn. *Local Rochester
tool repair places do not work on Sears gear. *ANy suggestions?

I had a similar situation with my Ryobi saw last week. Hard to
describe without a diagram but the spring on this one was a helix, two
layered coils of flat, thin spring steel; is yours similar? After a
lot of frustration, I finally got it together by pulling one end down
and away from the rest of the coil and slipping the loose end into the
slot in the shaft. Once that was set, I slowly wound the rest of the
spring around the shaft and into the slot.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Ned Foley wrote:
All;

I mistakenly took apart the lower blade guard on my Sears 12" Compound
Miter Saw Model 315.212050, and the retaining spring popped out. I
can't seem to get it coiled up behind the guard again and get it back
together. Is there a secret method? I am in the middle of a big
project and can't let saw go to Sears repair in Penn. Local Rochester
tool repair places do not work on Sears gear. ANy suggestions?

If it's that nuisance lower guard is all, I'd simply take if off
entirely for the time being then(+). All it protects at best is a
sideways insertion that happens to hit where it is; if you have your
finger in the cutting zone it'll be happy to move out of the way for it
just as for the work...

(+) Make another at least half-hearted attempt, anyway so you can say
you did try...

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried to remove the screw to the metal
armature that connects to the lower guard and the screw won't budge.