Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Touching up bathtub caulk

I just re-caulked a bath tub for the first time. In one spot, I took
off a little too much caulk when smoothing the bead, and when the
caulk dried, a harline gap formed between the caulk and the edge of
the tiles, about an inch long.

I used an acrylic tub caulk. Is there any way to fix this by adding a
little bit of caulk in the gap, or some other product? If I do have
to remove everything and recaulk it, can I redo just that caulk line,
or do I have to redo the whole tub?

Jimmy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 12:05*pm, Jimmy wrote:
I just re-caulked a bath tub for the first time. *In one spot, I took
off a little too much caulk when smoothing the bead, and when the
caulk dried, a harline gap formed between the caulk and the edge of
the tiles, about an inch long.

I used an acrylic tub caulk. *Is there any way to fix this by adding a
little bit of caulk in the gap, or some other product? *If I do have
to remove everything and recaulk it, can I redo just that caulk line,
or do I have to redo the whole tub?

Redo the whole tub? You can't possibly be serious...

You can do whatever you want. Patching up the gap is fine but you'll
see the patch. It will look a lot better if you do the whole line over
so you can hide the gaps in the corners.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jimmy wrote:
I just re-caulked a bath tub for the first time. In one spot, I took
off a little too much caulk when smoothing the bead, and when the
caulk dried, a harline gap formed between the caulk and the edge of
the tiles, about an inch long.

I used an acrylic tub caulk. Is there any way to fix this by adding a
little bit of caulk in the gap, or some other product? If I do have
to remove everything and recaulk it, can I redo just that caulk line,
or do I have to redo the whole tub?

Jimmy

Did you wipe the tub and tile with bleach prior to caulking? If not, I
would re-do the whole thing, as you are likely to have mildew growing
under the caulk; will cause, at least, discoloration and constantly
fighting more mildew growth. I would use nothing but silicone caulk for
tub or shower. I've redone almost every caulking job I've
undertaken...practice, practice, practice ) I also tape the edges
with painters tape and remove the tape right away. On the tub side,
tape isn't as helpful because if a little caulk squeezes beyond the edge
of the tip, you can let it cure, trim with razor blade, and peel off the
extra little bead.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 3:04*pm, "
wrote:
Jimmy wrote:
[...]

If you really want to learn how to caulk, replace all of the windows
in your house. Considering the windows themselves (inside and out) and
all of the gaps around the aluminum and/or vinyl trim, there's a lot
of caulking to do.

Start at the upper back, or at whatever window is the hardest to see.
By the time you work your way around to the most visible windows,
you'll be pretty d*mn good at it. If time allows, practice on all of
the interiors first since that bead will be covered by trim.

I also tape the edges with painters tape and remove the tape right
away.

I used to use tape, but I always ending up with a ridge that needed to
be smoothed anyway.

Now I use the right amount of caulk for the size of the gap (using
backer rod if needed) and smooth it with a wet finger.

I still hate caulking, but I'm not *afraid* of it anymore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 12:05*pm, Jimmy wrote:
I just re-caulked a bath tub for the first time. *In one spot, I took
off a little too much caulk when smoothing the bead, and when the
caulk dried, a harline gap formed between the caulk and the edge of
the tiles, about an inch long.

I used an acrylic tub caulk. *Is there any way to fix this by adding a
little bit of caulk in the gap, or some other product? *If I do have
to remove everything and recaulk it, can I redo just that caulk line,
or do I have to redo the whole tub?

Jimmy

You might try a little bit of clear caulk on the spot you missed. If
the "hairline gap" is small enough that's all you'll see - instead of
a patch of white caulk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 12:57:39 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:
If you really want to learn how to caulk, replace all of the windows
in your house. Considering the windows themselves (inside and out) and
all of the gaps around the aluminum and/or vinyl trim, there's a lot
of caulking to do.

I was just doing some of mine yesterday (not replacing - but the previous
owners had never sealed them inside. I did the exteriors last year, just
never got around to the interior - but I figure they leak cold air from
within the walls, so I'm best doing them now the weather's getting
cooler)

Now I use the right amount of caulk for the size of the gap (using
backer rod if needed) and smooth it with a wet finger.

Yeah, me too. Hardest part I always found was knowing when to back off on
the gun's trigger so it stops oozing out at the right spot, rather than
caulk pouring out long after I'm done :-) Got it down to an art these
days, though...

I still hate caulking, but I'm not *afraid* of it anymore.

I've never minded it. Painting I hate, though. If there's somewhere I'm
not supposed to be getting the paint, that's where it'll end up... I
usually delegate painting jobs to the wife.

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

If you really want to learn how to caulk, replace all of the windows
in your house. Considering the windows themselves (inside and out) and
all of the gaps around the aluminum and/or vinyl trim, there's a lot
of caulking to do.

Start at the upper back, or at whatever window is the hardest to see.
By the time you work your way around to the most visible windows,
you'll be pretty d*mn good at it. If time allows, practice on all of
the interiors first since that bead will be covered by trim.

Are you freakin nuts?????? They're talking about caulking a hairline crack
around the tub! You tell him to replace the windows to get practice.

Patting yourself on the back is one thing, but good God man, use your head!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 7:53*pm, "Lou" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

If you really want to learn how to caulk, replace all of the windows
in your house. Considering the windows themselves (inside and out) and
all of the gaps around the aluminum and/or vinyl trim, there's a lot
of caulking to do.
Start at the upper back, or at whatever window is the hardest to see.
By the time you work your way around to the most visible windows,
you'll be pretty d*mn good at it. If time allows, practice on all of
the interiors first since that bead will be covered by trim.

Are you freakin nuts?????? They're talking about caulking a hairline crack
around the tub! You tell him to replace the windows to get practice.

Patting yourself on the back is one thing, but good God man, use your head!

Hey Lou,

"suggestion".

Then go back and read my response to the OP.

P.S. I might be freakin nuts, but that has nothing to do with this
thread.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 5:19*pm, Jules
wrote:
[...]

There's no real need to back off on the trigger early in the run just
to stop the oozing.

Keep your thumb near the tab under the plunger rod. As soon as you
want to stop the caulk from coming out, pop to tab to release the
pressure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"
Did you wipe the tub and tile with bleach prior to caulking? *If not, I
would re-do the whole thing, as you are likely to have mildew growing
under thecaulk; will cause, at least, discoloration and constantly
fighting more mildew growth. *

There was no mildew on the old caulk, or anywhere else on the tiles or
tub. The tub was totally dry, since it hadn' t been used in several
weeks. I waited several days between removing the old caulk and
putting in the new. Do you still think I'll have a mildew problem?

Jimmy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 6:53*pm, "Lou" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

If you really want to learn how to caulk, replace all of the windows
in your house. Considering the windows themselves (inside and out) and
all of the gaps around the aluminum and/or vinyl trim, there's a lot
of caulking to do.
Start at the upper back, or at whatever window is the hardest to see.
By the time you work your way around to the most visible windows,
you'll be pretty d*mn good at it. If time allows, practice on all of
the interiors first since that bead will be covered by trim.

Are you freakin nuts?????? They're talking about caulking a hairline crack
around the tub! You tell him to replace the windows to get practice.

Patting yourself on the back is one thing, but good God man, use your head!

He has a hairline crack in his caulk. I think the next logical step
would be to replace the windows... What are YOU thinking..:0)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 1, 2:09*pm, in2dadark wrote:
On Oct 30, 6:53*pm, "Lou" wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

If you really want to learn how to caulk, replace all of the windows
in your house. Considering the windows themselves (inside and out) and
all of the gaps around the aluminum and/or vinyl trim, there's a lot
of caulking to do.
Start at the upper back, or at whatever window is the hardest to see.
By the time you work your way around to the most visible windows,
you'll be pretty d*mn good at it. If time allows, practice on all of
the interiors first since that bead will be covered by trim.

Are you freakin nuts?????? They're talking about caulking a hairline crack
around the tub! You tell him to replace the windows to get practice.

Patting yourself on the back is one thing, but good God man, use your head!

He has a hairline crack in his caulk. I think the next logical step
would be to replace the windows... What are YOU thinking..:0)- Hide quoted text -

Keeping reading, my friend, keep reading...

To caulk or not to caulk around toilet base? Phisherman[_2_] Home Repair 0 June 25th 09 03:17 PM
To caulk or not to caulk around toilet base? mike Home Repair 2 June 24th 09 07:43 PM
To caulk or not to caulk around toilet base? Phisherman[_2_] Home Repair 0 June 24th 09 10:47 AM
Bathtub Caulk mcp6453 Home Repair 2 June 4th 07 11:27 PM
Prep/Re-caulk bathtub Puddin' Man Home Repair 3 March 2nd 05 12:53 PM