Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Touching up bathtub caulk

On Oct 30, 5:19*pm, Jules
wrote:
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 12:57:39 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:
If you really want to learn how to caulk, replace all of the windows
in your house. Considering the windows themselves (inside and out) and
all of the gaps around the aluminum and/or vinyl trim, there's a lot
of caulking to do.

I was just doing some of mine yesterday (not replacing - but the previous
owners had never sealed them inside. I did the exteriors last year, just
never got around to the interior - but I figure they leak cold air from
within the walls, so I'm best doing them now the weather's getting
cooler)

Now I use the right amount of caulk for the size of the gap (using
backer rod if needed) and smooth it with a wet finger.

Yeah, me too. Hardest part I always found was knowing when to back off on
the gun's trigger so it stops oozing out at the right spot, rather than
caulk pouring out long after I'm done :-) Got it down to an art these
days, though...

I still hate caulking, but I'm not *afraid* of it anymore.

I've never minded it. Painting I hate, though. If there's somewhere I'm
not supposed to be getting the paint, that's where it'll end up... I
usually delegate painting jobs to the wife.

cheers

Jules

Hardest part I always found was knowing when to back off on the
gun's trigger so it stops oozing out at the right spot, rather than
caulk pouring out long after I'm done.

There's no real need to back off on the trigger early in the run just
to stop the oozing.

Keep your thumb near the tab under the plunger rod. As soon as you
want to stop the caulk from coming out, pop to tab to release the
pressure.