Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Touching up bathtub caulk

Jimmy wrote:
I just re-caulked a bath tub for the first time. In one spot, I took
off a little too much caulk when smoothing the bead, and when the
caulk dried, a harline gap formed between the caulk and the edge of
the tiles, about an inch long.

I used an acrylic tub caulk. Is there any way to fix this by adding a
little bit of caulk in the gap, or some other product? If I do have
to remove everything and recaulk it, can I redo just that caulk line,
or do I have to redo the whole tub?

Jimmy

Did you wipe the tub and tile with bleach prior to caulking? If not, I
would re-do the whole thing, as you are likely to have mildew growing
under the caulk; will cause, at least, discoloration and constantly
fighting more mildew growth. I would use nothing but silicone caulk for
tub or shower. I've redone almost every caulking job I've
undertaken...practice, practice, practice ) I also tape the edges
with painters tape and remove the tape right away. On the tub side,
tape isn't as helpful because if a little caulk squeezes beyond the edge
of the tip, you can let it cure, trim with razor blade, and peel off the
extra little bead.