Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Truss support

I have a pole barn with pre-built trusses on 2 foot centers. I would
like to put a loft at one end to increase my storage. Is it possible
to reinforce the rafter so that I could remove parts of the truss to
make it possible to move around easier when in the loft?

Thanks
Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

:

I have a pole barn with pre-built trusses on 2 foot centers. I would
like to put a loft at one end to increase my storage. Is it possible
to reinforce the rafter so that I could remove parts of the truss to
make it possible to move around easier when in the loft?

Thanks
Mike

Sure.

....what does the truss engineer say?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"c1gmlm" wrote in message
I have a pole barn with pre-built trusses on 2 foot centers. I would
like to put a loft at one end to increase my storage. Is it possible
to reinforce the rafter so that I could remove parts of the truss to
make it possible to move around easier when in the loft?

Thanks
Mike

That can only be answered by the company that built the truss or a
structural engineer. My answer would be NO.

The truss serves as a complete unit. Reinforcing part of it does not
support the other parts.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

wrote:

c1gmlm wrote in
:

I have a pole barn with pre-built trusses on 2 foot centers. I would
like to put a loft at one end to increase my storage. Is it possible
to reinforce the rafter so that I could remove parts of the truss to
make it possible to move around easier when in the loft?

Thanks
Mike

Sure.

...what does the truss engineer say?

Absolutely Oren!

My answer of "sure" included that. It was as vague and had as many
implied items as the question.

With enough money, a structural engineer, concrete, lumber, steel,
qualified construction people, etc., etc, my reply is 100% accurate -
"Sure".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 28, 2:14*pm, c1gmlm wrote:
I have a pole barn with pre-built trusses on 2 foot centers. I would
like to put a loft at one end to increase my storage. Is it possible
to reinforce the rafter so that I could remove parts of the truss to
make it possible to move around easier when in the loft?

Thanks
Mike

Search the group for previous discussions on modifying roof or
ceiling truss to accept additional load.

Of course what you want to do is possible but the devil is in the
details. But unless you are an experienced truss designer or
builder ....you'll need a professional to design the changes.

I am an engineer with lots of design and construction experiences BUT
I still had a roofing engineer examine the roof of my house for the
suitability & retrofit need to switch from wooden shingles to concrete
tile. He did quick, right and for a reasonable fee.

For the "one-off job", it makes little sense to attempt to DIY on a
task the requires specialized experience or education.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 28, 5:14�pm, c1gmlm wrote:
I have a pole barn with pre-built trusses on 2 foot centers. I would
like to put a loft at one end to increase my storage. Is it possible
to reinforce the rafter so that I could remove parts of the truss to
make it possible to move around easier when in the loft?

Thanks
Mike

Like many have said, it all depends ...............on many factors. In
Ohio, a typical pole barn with a metal roof has trusses 4' on center
with 2x4 purlings laying flat. I just built a pole barn and I have
metal sissor trusses 16' on center with 2x6's standing on their sides.
They are an engineered truss that are designed to carry the load and
withstand the wind forces here in Ohio. Your part of the country may
require a totally different approach.

I am sure what you are asking can be done, but is it worth the
expense, labor and risk? Only you can decide after researching. As
good as this NG is, it isn't the place to rely on its information on
how to do it because of the regional variables.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 28, 5:14*pm, c1gmlm wrote:
I have a pole barn with pre-built trusses on 2 foot centers. I would
like to put a loft at one end to increase my storage. Is it possible
to reinforce the rafter so that I could remove parts of the truss to
make it possible to move around easier when in the loft?

Thanks
Mike

I did that in an attic space. The solution I employeed was to
reinforce every alternate truss and leave the ones between alone.
That made enough space to move around without having to completely
rely on my "off the cuff" reinforcement strategy.

In God we truss Roland Butter[_2_] UK diy 6 August 5th 08 01:14 PM
building howe truss kevin Home Repair 8 September 14th 06 09:00 PM
Fixing a roof truss Tim Downie UK diy 27 March 12th 06 08:27 PM
Help fix damaged truss rod end [email protected] Woodworking 12 January 19th 05 03:58 AM