Posted to alt.home.repair
Hustlin' Hank Hustlin' Hank is offline

Default Truss support

On Oct 28, 5:14�pm, c1gmlm wrote:
I have a pole barn with pre-built trusses on 2 foot centers. I would
like to put a loft at one end to increase my storage. Is it possible
to reinforce the rafter so that I could remove parts of the truss to
make it possible to move around easier when in the loft?

Thanks
Mike

Like many have said, it all depends ...............on many factors. In
Ohio, a typical pole barn with a metal roof has trusses 4' on center
with 2x4 purlings laying flat. I just built a pole barn and I have
metal sissor trusses 16' on center with 2x6's standing on their sides.
They are an engineered truss that are designed to carry the load and
withstand the wind forces here in Ohio. Your part of the country may
require a totally different approach.

I am sure what you are asking can be done, but is it worth the
expense, labor and risk? Only you can decide after researching. As
good as this NG is, it isn't the place to rely on its information on
how to do it because of the regional variables.

Hank