Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Acid injector for pool - help needed

I have a new plaster pool and they use lots of acid for the first year
or so. I've plumbed a line from the inlet side of my pump to a tank
with 3 parts water, 1 part acid. I'm using irrigation drippers in
line to regulate the flow and have it just right so it keeps the pool
pH level correct. I know of other people who have done this and it
works long term.

My problem is that when the pump shuts off, a small amount of the acid
still siphons into the pool plumbing. Maybe because the tank is
slightly higher than the pool level? Its about a quart over night.

I was thinking maybe a small spring loaded check valve would help,
where just the spring pressure would be enough to stop the siphon
flow, but when the pump is on and creates a vacuum, it would be enough
to move the spring. Any ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 14, 9:29*am, wrote:
I have a new plaster pool and they use lots of acid for the first year
or so. *I've plumbed a line from the inlet side of my pump to a tank
with 3 parts water, 1 part acid. *I'm using *irrigation drippers in
line to regulate the flow and have it just right so it keeps the pool
pH level correct. *I know of other people who have done this and it
works long term.

My problem is that when the pump shuts off, a small amount of the acid
still siphons into the pool plumbing. *Maybe because the tank is
slightly higher than the pool level? *Its about a quart over night.

I was thinking maybe a small spring loaded check valve would help,
where just the spring pressure would be enough to stop the siphon
flow, but when the pump is on and creates a vacuum, it would be enough
to move the spring. *Any ideas?

I've seen small check valves for fuel systems and they run pretty low
pressure so the spring can't be all that big. But it will be an
experiment to see if the pump vacuum is enough to overcome any
spring. Got a vacuum meter you can put on the inlet? That would at
least tell you the draw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 14, 9:41*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Oct 14, 9:29*am, wrote:

[...]

There are systems available to inject chlorine for pools that work in
the way you want. I'd find some of those online, check out how they
are made, etc. You may get an idea or find a replacement part for
one that you could buy and use. Those parts are at least chlorine
resistant, so likely they would stand up to acid too.

But you definitely need something because you don't want the
concentrated acid going into the pool pump and other system components.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have a new plaster pool and they use lots of acid for the first year
or so. I've plumbed a line from the inlet side of my pump to a tank
with 3 parts water, 1 part acid. I'm using irrigation drippers in
line to regulate the flow and have it just right so it keeps the pool
pH level correct. I know of other people who have done this and it
works long term.

My problem is that when the pump shuts off, a small amount of the acid
still siphons into the pool plumbing. Maybe because the tank is
slightly higher than the pool level? Its about a quart over night.

I was thinking maybe a small spring loaded check valve would help,
where just the spring pressure would be enough to stop the siphon
flow, but when the pump is on and creates a vacuum, it would be enough
to move the spring. Any ideas?

You could use a venturi, like the ones used on ozone systems for spas, on the
output side of the pump system, so that it will suck in the acid when the pump
is running. This, and a check valve between the pump and the venturi will keep
the acid out of the pump and filter. This would be similar to the installation
of a chlorinator on a spa.

They make check valves for use in ozonator lines to keep water out of the
ozonator. You can also buy tiny check valves at aquarium stores. Finding one
that is acid resistant may be a problem.

A spring check valve with a metal spring will have problems with the acid. One
aquarium check valve I've used has a rubber internal valve that might close
tight enough. It's clear plastic, so you could visually inspect it for
deterioration.