Posted to alt.home.repair

Default reseting GE cooker?

I have a GE profile cooker on which the igniters suddenly stopped
working

I tried to restart it a few times and the grill igniter suddenly
started working again. It now works fine.

Does anyone know how to get the oven igniter to restart working
please? It wont turn on at all
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 20:25:21 -0700 (PDT), DManzaluni
wrote:

I have a GE profile cooker on which the igniters suddenly stopped
working

I tried to restart it a few times and the grill igniter suddenly
started working again. It now works fine.

Does anyone know how to get the oven igniter to restart working
please? It wont turn on at all

What is a GE profile cooker? Not everyone shops where you do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 12, 10:25*pm, DManzaluni wrote:
I have a GE profile cooker on which the igniters suddenly stopped
working

I tried to restart it a few times and the grill igniter suddenly
started working again. *It now works fine.

Does anyone know how to get the oven igniter to restart working
please? It wont turn on at all

Whats a cooker, I thought a crock pot till you indicated gas, if its a
gas 4 burner stove I use a wire brush to clean the ignitors on my
stove.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry about that: It is a large home appliance with 4 (round) gas
surfaces on the top to heat pots or pans I think that bit is called
a range though I have heard the whole thing referred to as a range,
which I thought confusing. Which is why I called it a cooker and
thought that people would realise by the reference to grill igniters
and ovens not working what I was talking about.

Underneath there is an oven which has two trays in it which go from
side to side to put things like chickens or beef or indeed fish on.
The oven heats up the food inside it by tw menthods: It either uses a
grill at the top under which you put the grub or an element of some
type under the lower surface which heats up the whole oven to maintain
an even tempertature. Either seem to use an igniter to which I
referred in my OP . Both igniters (they used to be called pilot
lights when they were actual flames) went out at once and the grill
one seems to have reset itself. My problem is that the oven one
doesn't now turn on at all.. There is of course a 50/50 chance that
the oven igniter needs replacement but as they both went out at once
and one then started working again, I figured this is slightly less
likely.

The whole is controlled by an LED panel at the front surface (to the
right of 4 round knobs which control the top gas 'burners') which
shows mode, temperature, grill on/off etc. There is also a self-
cleaning function.

There is also a drawer underneath but I don't think it does anything
besides holding roasting pans: It doesn't ever seem to have acted as a
warmer drawer.

(Where I come from, this whole appliance is called a stove but I didnt
want to use that term as i hadn't heard any one use it for years)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 13, 7:57*am, DManzaluni wrote:
[...]

They are most commonly called ranges today, but the term stove is
still used and most people would know what you were talking about.
As to your problem, I can't help. On the ranges I've seen there is
no reset for the igniters. They either work or they don't.

Try googling "bad oven igniter" or "replacing ge profile oven igniter
or similar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 13, 1:06*pm, wrote:
[...]

or similar.- Hide quoted text -

Most gas ovens use a ceramic heating element. When electricity passes
through it, it heats up and changes the resistance, allowing voltage
to open a gas solenoid when the element is hot enough to ignite the
burner. I would look on the GE site for the service manual and see
where the breakers are. If the breakers/fuses are okay, then the
problem is either the oven controller, the wiring or the igniter. If
the oven controller, be prepared to lay out some dollars/pounds/euros/
yen. An alternative would be to check the resistance of the ceramic
elements. They can go intermittent if they are cracked. The top
igniter controls the broiler and only comes on when set to broil. The
bottom one is usually easily accessed by lifting out the floor of the
oven. A properly working igniter will light up the bottom of the oven
when it is starting. If I understood your post correctly, the top
igniter works, but not the bottom. If this is the case, you might be
able to carefully swap them and see if the problem travels with the
igniter.

A trip to the library for a copy of poputar digest's book of how to
fix anything will walk you through the steps to troubleshoot the oven.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 13, 4:38*pm, WannabeChef wrote:
On Oct 13, 1:06*pm, wrote:

[...]

igniter works, but not the . If this is the case, you might be
able to carefully swap them and see if the problem travels with the
igniter.

A trip to the library for a copy of poputar digest's book of how to
fix anything will walk you through the steps to troubleshoot the oven.

Thank you for that very full response: The current problem is that GE
apparently wants everyone to buy new products rather than repair their
own. Or at the least make the profit out of their repair centres which
they would have made on the new purchase. You used to be able to call
626 2000 and be told how to fix any GE product within reason. Now they
don't even bother to listen to the problem, they rush you off the
phone with a reference to some 800 number to call out a repairer.
Apparently the igniter costs about $18. A call out will cost a few
hundred by the time it is over!

I have seen the upper igniter in action and that is exactly how it
works: I wonder how I can figure out how to switch the igniters? The
lower cover seems to be held in with 6 or 8 screws but apparently you
have to move this GAS cooker forward to get at the other end of the
wires to the igniter?? (which in my case is a bit difficult)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 13, 1:06*pm, wrote:

[...]

Most of the wires to the ignitors are actually pretty short.- take a
look at the illustrations on www.pcappliancerepair.com . There are
also several articles on this site that tell you how to check the
various components as well. The igniters appear to be usable in both
positions. You may be able to just pull up on the bottom / floor of
the oven and get easy access to the burner and igniter.

Cooker and Hob Peter Andrews UK diy 4 October 6th 08 07:54 PM
UK cooker to NL Rod UK diy 4 November 6th 05 03:36 PM
gas cooker David Lang UK diy 6 May 30th 05 11:45 PM
Electrics - Replace full electric cooker with a duel fuel cooker Chi UK diy 11 December 16th 03 02:44 PM
Cooker Socket over Cooker? Neil UK diy 8 July 20th 03 10:28 PM