Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bosch Dishwasher won't fill

Greetings all. My 7 year old Bosch SHU3035UC/UC12 stopped filling with
water the other day. It powers through all the cycles and SOUNDS like its
working, but when I open the door mid-cylce, no water... It drains fine
though. I disconnected the hose from the dishwasher to verify that water
is coming out of the hose and no kinks are present. Not sure what to try
at this point. No issues with the unit in the past 5 years (came with the
house we bought...)

Any suggestions other than calling a repair person? -betty

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bettynugs" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings all. My 7 year old Bosch SHU3035UC/UC12 stopped filling with
water the other day. It powers through all the cycles and SOUNDS like its
working, but when I open the door mid-cylce, no water... It drains fine
though. I disconnected the hose from the dishwasher to verify that water
is coming out of the hose and no kinks are present. Not sure what to try
at this point. No issues with the unit in the past 5 years (came with the
house we bought...)

Any suggestions other than calling a repair person? -betty

I think you need to call for service. If you can verify that the water to
the machine is on and flowing, beyond that it could be a fill solenoid or
any number of things that would be hard to diagnose. There may also be a
strainer in the fill line, which could be clogged. If you do check for it,
kill the power to the machine first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bettynugs" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings all. My 7 year old Bosch SHU3035UC/UC12 stopped filling with
water the other day. It powers through all the cycles and SOUNDS like
its
working, but when I open the door mid-cylce, no water... It drains fine
though. I disconnected the hose from the dishwasher to verify that water
is coming out of the hose and no kinks are present. Not sure what to try
at this point. No issues with the unit in the past 5 years (came with
the
house we bought...)

Any suggestions other than calling a repair person? -betty

The fella, which runs the site listed, used to post here. I used him
for..... a dishwasher problem! Can't for the life of me remember what the
part was, I believe a solenoid. Anyways, he responded for a problem with a
Maytag, beat my local dealers price, and was correct on the diagnosis. My
dishwasher was not filling, your problem sounds similar! You can use the
trouble shooter guide. And, unless he changed his ways, he will respond to
your email. Give him a day or so to respond.

I'm not associated in anyway with the site, some of the older Usenet people
on here probably remember his name.
http://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHelp/RepairHelp.aspx

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kerry L." wrote in message

Can't for the life of me remember what the part was, I believe a
solenoid.

Heh, I remember, it was the "water inlet-valve".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 12, 9:44*pm, "Kerry L." wrote:
"Kerry L." wrote in message

Can't for the life of me remember what the part was, I believe a
solenoid.

Heh, I remember, it was the "water inlet-valve".

If it drains ok, yo have seen it, then it must be filling or else the
drain water is materializing out of thin air.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 23:27:31 +0000,
(bettynugs) wrote:

Greetings all. My 7 year old Bosch SHU3035UC/UC12 stopped filling with
water the other day. It powers through all the cycles and SOUNDS like its
working, but when I open the door mid-cylce, no water... It drains fine
though. I disconnected the hose from the dishwasher to verify that water
is coming out of the hose and no kinks are present. Not sure what to try
at this point. No issues with the unit in the past 5 years (came with the
house we bought...)

Any suggestions other than calling a repair person? -betty

On my whirlpool, the inlet valve is in the front. Remove the kick
panel, probably two screws have to be loosened, maybe removed to do
this. You could take the 2 wires off the inlet valve solenoid and
measure them for 110VAC during the fill stage of the wash cycle. Be
careful if you get wet. you probably won't, especially since there is
no water, but still, if you do, I'd postpone things until I dried off.

YOu can get either a digital or an analog (with a needle) meter, for
under 20 dollars at Harbor Freight, Radio Shack, or Ace
Hardware/HomeDepot/Lowes. ONly touch the plastic parts of the meter
and the probes. Don't touch the metal parts of the dishwasher.

The metal clips that clip on to the taps of the valve will most likely
have protective plastic (or something) covers over them, except at the
open end where they slip on. That's where you put in the meter
probes.

REmember to set the meter on AC volts when planning to measure AC
volts, and on resistance when planning to measure the resistance of
the coil, disconnected from thos e wires. Always set the meter to the
right setting and amount before measuring something. Otherwise you
may burn out your meter and have to fix it or buy another one. I've
been doing this for 40+ years and only burnt out one or two meters.

When the wires are off the valve you can use the ohmeter to measure
the resistance of the inlet valve, of the solenoid that is the
electical part of the inlet valve. It should be greater than zero and
less than infinity.

If you had voltage at the wires, you can try to confirm that the inlet
valve is good, by putting one of the two wires on, and then just
touching the other wire to the metal tab it connects to. Or if the
wires are one piece, you can do both wires together. Even if there is
no water, you should hear a little click when the valve opens.

Another thing that might turn off the inlet is the float. In the
whirlpool it is obvious, a big plastic thing that sits low when there
is no water and rises when it's filling with water. When it gets high
enough, it turns off the power to the inlet valve, which makes the
valve shut. Try lifting that up and down. ESPECIALLY the first
time, note if it sticks at all. If it sticks at all you might free it
up and then the whole thing might work.

It's unlikely that the internal hoses are clogged. After all, they're
pretty big and all they ever get is water, but if you lay your head on
the floor you should be able to see the hose from the valve to the
center bottom near where they water shoots up. And you should be
ableto see the hose or copper tube that goes out the side and bottom
of the dishwasher to where it connects to one of the pipes to your
kitchen sink faucet.

Do you have both hot and cold wwater at your kitchen sink? If not,
why not. Is there a separate valve on the copper tube/pipe to the
dish washer. Is it open? Is it turned counter-clockwise.

This is a pretty simple system, little more complicated than what it
takes to turn on your garden faucet. Except the valve is electric and
it also has the water level float switch in the cirucit.

You're either missing water, missing electricity, or the valve is
broken.

P&M
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 12, 4:27*pm, (bettynugs)
wrote:
Greetings all. *My 7 year old Bosch SHU3035UC/UC12 stopped filling with
water the other day. *It powers through all the cycles and SOUNDS like its
working, but when I open the door mid-cylce, no water... *It drains fine
though. *I disconnected the hose from the dishwasher to verify that water
is coming out of the hose and no kinks are present. *Not sure what to try
at this point. *No issues with the unit in the past 5 years (came with the
house we bought...)

Any suggestions other than calling a repair person? *-betty

Depends on how experienced / handy you are.......

d/w not filling means

1) no water to machine (but you chekced for that)
2) controller (timer) not send power to the water inlet (solenoid
valve)
3) power to solenoid valve but solenoid valve no good

so oyu need to check signal to valve, if valve is getting a signal but
not working bad valve

my best guess is that the valve is shot. If trouble shooting is
beyond your capabilty, jsut order a new valve & swap it out

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 13, 2:52�am, fftt wrote:
On Oct 12, 4:27�pm, (bettynugs)
wrote:

[...]

might be a solenoid valve, but my old bosch had this exact problem:
( thank goodness covered under warranty.

theres a internal set of floats that cant be serviced, they detect all
sorts of water level issues. mine got stuck.

the trouble with bosch EVERYTHING BUT THE fill valve REQUIRES the unit
be totally disassembled for service.

around here no one but sears repairs bosch.

call yourself lucky if its just the fill valve.

try this easy test.

open door pour in pans of water till theres a obvious lake.

shut door.

tell it to empty.

if it doesnt your in for a costly repair. its not the fill vaslve
since you filled it. its a bad pump or bad float control

Posted to alt.home.repair

fftt writes:

On Oct 12, 4:27*pm, (bettynugs)
wrote:
Greetings all. *My 7 year old Bosch SHU3035UC/UC12 stopped filling with
water the other day. *It powers through all the cycles and SOUNDS like its
working, but when I open the door mid-cylce, no water... *It drains fine
though. *I disconnected the hose from the dishwasher to verify that water
is coming out of the hose and no kinks are present. *Not sure what to try
at this point. *No issues with the unit in the past 5 years (came with the
house we bought...)

Any suggestions other than calling a repair person? *-betty

Depends on how experienced / handy you are.......

d/w not filling means

1) no water to machine (but you chekced for that)
2) controller (timer) not send power to the water inlet (solenoid
valve)
3) power to solenoid valve but solenoid valve no good

4) Bad float switch.
I just had to replace the switch (a $14 component) on my parents'
dishwasher after it ended up arcing and burning out. BTW, the
official repair guy quoted them about $400 and wanted to replace
the inlet valve and the main motor...

5) Too much suds (causing the float switch not to operate properly)

6) Other reasons... (see repairclinic.com and use Google as your
friend)