Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dishwasher doesn't wait to fill

Don't know if this is a timer problem or ??

The dishwasher doesn't wait for all the water to be piped in; it starts
prematurely and washes or rinses without enough water, so the top shelf
really doesn't get clean or rinsed because there's not enough water to get
up there. We manually dump in a big bowl of hot water and that works;
however, it's not the most interesting thing to wait around for each and
every cycle listening for the H2O to come on!

Any thoughts on this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cathy Boer wrote:
Don't know if this is a timer problem or ??

The dishwasher doesn't wait for all the water to be piped in; it starts
prematurely and washes or rinses without enough water, so the top shelf
really doesn't get clean or rinsed because there's not enough water to get
up there. We manually dump in a big bowl of hot water and that works;
however, it's not the most interesting thing to wait around for each and
every cycle listening for the H2O to come on!

Any thoughts on this?

My first guess would be that the water level float valve is either
physically stuck or electrically defective. After some years of use
"crud" (to use the scientific term) builds up between the float and the
post causing it to stop moving. If it sticks in the "down" position you
have a flood because the machine doesn't know the water level has risen.
If it sticks in the "up" position it thinks the water is already up to
the proper level and doesn't add add more.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 12:16�pm, "Cathy Boer" wrote:
Don't know if this is a timer problem or ??

The dishwasher doesn't wait for all the water to be piped in; it starts
prematurely and washes or rinses without enough water, so the top shelf
really doesn't get clean or rinsed because there's not enough water to get
up there. �We manually dump in a big bowl of hot water and that works;
however, it's not the most interesting thing to wait around for each and
every cycle listening for the H2O to come on!

Any thoughts on this?

who made the machine, ia it a bosch? they clean excellent but break
too much and parts cost a fortune
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 12:16*pm, "Cathy Boer" wrote:
Don't know if this is a timer problem or ??

The dishwasher doesn't wait for all the water to be piped in; it starts
prematurely and washes or rinses without enough water, so the top shelf
really doesn't get clean or rinsed because there's not enough water to get
up there. *We manually dump in a big bowl of hot water and that works;
however, it's not the most interesting thing to wait around for each and
every cycle listening for the H2O to come on!

Any thoughts on this?

Make sure you are not using the "China " setting. On my dishwasher,
the "normal wash" and "china" setting were next to each other on the
dial and I sometimes would put it on "china" by accident, which uses
less water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 6:08�pm, "Blattus Slafaly � � 0/00 "
wrote:
Cathy Boer wrote:
Don't know if this is a timer problem or ??

The dishwasher doesn't wait for all the water to be piped in; it starts
prematurely and washes or rinses without enough water, so the top shelf
really doesn't get clean or rinsed because there's not enough water to get
up there. �We manually dump in a big bowl of hot water and that works;
however, it's not the most interesting thing to wait around for each and
every cycle listening for the H2O to come on!

Any thoughts on this?

I've seen many dish washers do this, They start running before the tub
is filled. But the filling continues as it is running and gets filled
and shuts off the water while washing or rinsing continues. Yours does
not do this? It just fills the bottom or else it would flow out the door
when you � open it. Maybe your pump is clogged or weak or your fill
switch float is waterlogged.

--
Blattus Slafaly �? 3 � � �7/8

might also water draining while filling, machine never gets full.

is there a loop in the drain hose so water cant siphon out?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cathy Boer" wrote in

Don't know if this is a timer problem or ??

The dishwasher doesn't wait for all the water to be piped in; it
starts prematurely and washes or rinses without enough water, so the
top shelf really doesn't get clean or rinsed because there's not
enough water to get up there. We manually dump in a big bowl of hot
water and that works; however, it's not the most interesting thing to
wait around for each and every cycle listening for the H2O to come on!

Any thoughts on this?

One of the troubleshooting sections on many tech sheets is
WILL NOT FILL/LOW WATER
and it lists possible causes. Post your full model number and I'll look
and see if there's a tech sheet for it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 " wrote in
:

Cathy Boer wrote:
[...]

Although she may have a problem, they can indeed do this.

Mine will drain and add as it is washing. The timing diagram I found for
it showed every "interval". Mine has almost 50 with some as short as 5
seconds.

What you describe I believe is purging a bit of the grunge water then
adding to lessen the dishes washing in their own crap. I'd say this is
all model dependent on what electronic control module is installed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had this happen on a KitchenAide which did it a lot but not 100% of the
time. Even had a serviceman out who replaced the entire
(electromechanical) timer but it would still do it.

On this machine, unlike, say, a washing machine where everything stops
until the water reaches whatever the desired level is, as long as it takes,
the water fill was simply based on the timer turning the valve on for a
certain number of seconds. I presume there are dishwashers that do
actually sense water level but this one doesn't.

The little float switch only was there to prevent the water from getting
too high (it interrupts current to the fill valve). The timer doesn't halt
and wait for the float to lift or anything like that. You just get so many
seconds of fill valve "on" time and that was that.

I was finally able to catch it acting up and saw that power was going to
the fill valve but water wasn't going in so obviously the valve itself was
the culprit. I pulled the wires from the valve's solenoid coil and found
it open (dead). Turned out that the valve had a thermal fault--after so
many seconds of power on the solenoid would get hot and become electrically
open--turning off the water flow. When it cooled down it would act normal
so it was hard to find.

Fortunately I had saved the fill valve off an older KitchenAide that had
been replaced after 10 years of service when the main seal failed and water
had damaged the motor. The old valve was a little different so after
mounting it and hooking up the hot water copper line I had to get a length
of hose to connect it to the water fill / vacuum break thing on the side of
the machine as the orginal tube was a bit too short to agree with the new
(old) valve. That was a number of years ago and it's been fine ever since.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Kraus wrote in
:

[...]

Those types suck. Especially if you don't know what you're doing to start
with.

Fortunately I had saved the fill valve off an older KitchenAide that
had been replaced after 10 years of service when the main seal failed
and water had damaged the motor. The old valve was a little different
so after mounting it and hooking up the hot water copper line I had to
get a length of hose to connect it to the water fill / vacuum break
thing on the side of the machine as the orginal tube was a bit too
short to agree with the new (old) valve. That was a number of years
ago and it's been fine ever since.

Stupid machines...:-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 9:20�am, Red Green wrote:
Steve Kraus wrote :

[...]

Stupid machines...:-)- Hide quoted text -

solenoid valve failure is pretty common