Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Time change due

On Oct 11, 12:38*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
harry k wrote:
On Oct 11, 7:30 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , Red Green wrote:

Arizona in the US does not switch to DST. Yet within Arizona the Navajo
Nation does.
Yeah, I remember finding that a bit confusing when driving through AZ some
years ago -- the time kept changing, and I didn't know why.

Hawaii also doesn't observe DST, and until quite recently neither did Indiana.

Try Idaho. *I don't know what they do about DST but the south part of
the state is in Mountain time, the northern part in Pacific Time. *I
have no clue as to why. *The western border runs due N-S so why does
the time zone take a zig?...Perhaps economics as the northern part is
more connected to Washington state economically.

Harry K

Idaho does not exist, it's a myth. I read it in the interweb.

http://tinyurl.com/yz2hfkv

TDD- Hide quoted text -

Damn, I missed that but it certainly must be valid.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
stan wrote:
On Oct 11, 3:03 am, Oren wrote:
Q: When does the time change back in October 2009?

A: November 1st 2009.

Confuse me once.

Referring to change from summer to winter time. In North America?
(i.e. USA-Canada.)

Not necessarily same date or even any change at all elsewhere.

Never saw the point of this summer time business anyway.

Since these days it's a world society/economy

Right now it's about 09.45h in London, around 01.45h in Los Angeles
and about 06.15h here!

Usually an hour between time zones. Is yours divided up into half hour
or 15 minute periods

Maybe he is actually in NJ? Years ago when Saturday Night was actually
funny the news segment had a number of clocks on the wall with NY and
other times. NJ was always (I think) 20 minutes behind everyone else.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think it is a conspiracy! They change the time in the summer so that
the politicians can get an extra hour of golf, by making them open an
hour earlier! LOL

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 4:09*pm, Red Green wrote:
Sam E wrote :

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 22:03:42 -0700, Oren wrote:

Q: When does the time change back in October 2009?

A: November 1st 2009.

Confuse me once.

Does ANYBODY really think DST is more than a mind game?
Nobody could be that stupid :-)

My cats know what time it is...well, +/- 8.2ps anyway.

My cats know what time it is

Yeah...it's *their* time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
Q: When does the time change back in October 2009?

A: November 1st 2009.

Confuse me once.

Hi,
Another useless American invention.
Cows give milk always same time. Chickens lay eggs
always same time. Changing times on 10 different time pieces in the
house twice a year is a chore for me. My watches are radio controlled
so it's automatic.

Instead of fiddling with time pieces, how about getting up 1 hour early
or late if we have to shift time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 15:11:29 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

As long as you're intent on confusing everybody, why not switch over to
metric time as well? Ten metric hours in a day, ten metric minutes in an
hour and ten metric seconds in a minute.

ISTR that _Electronics Australia_ (or maybe it was still _Radio, TV and
Hobbies_ at the time) once reported that on April 1 of that year
Australia would be changing to the new Metric Time standard. But I no
longer recall how things were to be divided up -- maybe even a 10-day week?

It must have been around the time that Australia was in the process of
-- by stages -- decimalizing everything else.

Perce

The metric unit of time is the second (the same one hypercomplicating
people use). No other units may be used, just metric prefixes.

some conversions:

1 Kilosecond (KS, 1*10^3) = 16.7 minutes
1 megasecond (MS, 1*10^6) = 11.5 days
1 gigasecond (GS, 1*10^9) = 31.5 years
1 terasecond (TS, 1*10^12) = 31.5 millennia

1 millennium = 31.5 GS
1 decade = 315.5 MS
1 year = 31.5 MS
1 month = 2.63 MS
1 week = 604.8 KS
1 day = 86.4 KS
1 hour = 3.6 KS

The author of this message is approximately 1.56 GS old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 20:34:44 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Sun 11 Oct 2009 12:46:32p, The Daring Dufas told us...

Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
news Q: When does the time change back in October 2009?

A: November 1st 2009.

Confuse me once.

Since about 2-3 years ago, it is now the first Sunday in November rather
than the last Sunday in October previously since DST was introduced by
the Nixon administration.

The Spring forward date is also changed as of a few years ago to several
weeks earlier in March rather than first Sunday in April.

One effect is the kiddies now have to wait another hour to start their
candy assault on Halloween, as it still stays light until 7:00 PM. In
the old convention with end of DST in October, kiddies could start their
assault at 6:00 PM.

I have a Daylight Savings Time patch for Windows 2000 that
I use on all Win 2K installs. It's bad when the computer
has no idea what time it is.

TDD

Actually, that became a huge issue during Y2K remediation, especially for
large companies with hundreds of PCs.

The year 2038 problem has the potential to be far worse than Y2K ever
was.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 15:09:27 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

Sam E wrote in
:

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 22:03:42 -0700, Oren wrote:

Q: When does the time change back in October 2009?

A: November 1st 2009.

Confuse me once.

Does ANYBODY really think DST is more than a mind game?
Nobody could be that stupid :-)

My cats know what time it is...well, +/- 8.2ps anyway.

I used to know someone who fed his dog at the same time every day.
Then DST came. The dog was hungry. THE DOG HAD IT RIGHT!

BTW, this year has 13 months in it rather than the usual 14*.

* - A part of the mess that is DST.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 12:25:33 -0500, Dymphna
wrote:

I think it is a conspiracy! They change the time in the summer so that
the politicians can get an extra hour of golf, by making them open an
hour earlier! LOL

That makes sense (as a reason for DST), considering that politicians
are too stupid to notice that (an extra hour of light) isn't what
happens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:52:13 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Oren wrote:
Q: When does the time change back in October 2009?

A: November 1st 2009.

Confuse me once.

Hi,
Another useless American invention.

It does give you an excuse to set the time right (which I always do,
not just adding or subtracting an hour) twice a year. Of course the
trouble it gives more than makes up for that.

Cows give milk always same time. Chickens lay eggs
always same time. Changing times on 10 different time pieces in the
house twice a year is a chore for me.
My watches are radio controlled
so it's automatic.

Instead of fiddling with time pieces, how about getting up 1 hour early
or late if we have to shift time.

The obvious thing to do, even on Lord Howe Island.

I'm working on a clock and countdown webpage (using PHP). Doing so
requires learning a lot about timezones and such nonsense. Lord Howe
Island (located near Australia). It observes Damn Stupid Time like a
lot of places, but it is the only one where the DST offset isn't 1
hour. It takes a couple extra lines of code just for that little
place.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon 12 Oct 2009 12:39:48p, Gary H told us...

"Oren" wrote in message
news Q: When does the time change back in October 2009?

A: November 1st 2009.

[...]

As a systems analyst and engineer, I understand the problem. However, if I
live until 2038 I will be 93 years old, and I doubt that I'll care. I also
doubt that I'll live that long. :-)

I spent 3 years prior to Y2K managing a Y2K remediation team for one of the
largest metropolitan counties in the US. We addressed virtually any type
of device that could be affected, which ranged far beyond computers, per
se. It was very interesting work.

A funny story I heard back then was Russian designed computers
had no Y2K issues. Something about them being hand cranked.

TDD

It's time to change the air in your tires Jimw Home Repair 22 January 14th 09 11:24 AM
Big problem due to time change [email protected] Home Repair 27 November 6th 07 06:44 PM
Time change chaos h Home Repair 0 November 1st 05 06:36 AM
Time change chaos Shirley Thebaglady Home Repair 8 November 1st 05 04:54 AM
Time change chaos larry Home Repair 0 October 31st 05 04:57 AM