Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Time change due

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Mon 12 Oct 2009 12:39:48p, Gary H told us...

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 20:34:44 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Sun 11 Oct 2009 12:46:32p, The Daring Dufas told us...

Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:
"Oren" wrote in message
news Q: When does the time change back in October 2009?

A: November 1st 2009.

Confuse me once.
Since about 2-3 years ago, it is now the first Sunday in November
rather than the last Sunday in October previously since DST was
introduced by the Nixon administration.

The Spring forward date is also changed as of a few years ago to
several weeks earlier in March rather than first Sunday in April.

One effect is the kiddies now have to wait another hour to start
their candy assault on Halloween, as it still stays light until 7:00
PM. In the old convention with end of DST in October, kiddies could
start their assault at 6:00 PM.
I have a Daylight Savings Time patch for Windows 2000 that
I use on all Win 2K installs. It's bad when the computer
has no idea what time it is.

TDD

Actually, that became a huge issue during Y2K remediation, especially
for large companies with hundreds of PCs.

The year 2038 problem has the potential to be far worse than Y2K ever
was.

As a systems analyst and engineer, I understand the problem. However, if I
live until 2038 I will be 93 years old, and I doubt that I'll care. I also
doubt that I'll live that long. :-)

I spent 3 years prior to Y2K managing a Y2K remediation team for one of the
largest metropolitan counties in the US. We addressed virtually any type
of device that could be affected, which ranged far beyond computers, per
se. It was very interesting work.

A funny story I heard back then was Russian designed computers
had no Y2K issues. Something about them being hand cranked.

TDD