Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New plasma on wall install....

Hey Guys,

I'm about to install a new plasma on the wall. I've heard that its
againts "code" to simply pass
the screens power cord in wall... is that correct ? If thats the case,
do any of you know the
Canadian safety code chapter on this ???

Thanks,

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 7, 1:28*am, 4x12 wrote:
Hey Guys,

I'm about to install a new plasma on the wall. I've heard that its
againts "code" to simply pass
the screens power cord in wall... is that correct ? If thats the case,
do any of you know the
Canadian safety code chapter on this ???

Thanks,

Joe

Not familiar with Canada, but they do sell wire mold or wire
management systems to hide the wire outside the wall.
If your outlet is underneath the TV, or closeby, you can install an
outlet on the wall behind the TV and use a recessed "clock outlet" to
give you an exta inch of space. Thats what I did, but I got lucky
since my existing outlet was below the TV I was able to snake a new
cable up to the TV.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 7, 1:28*am, 4x12 wrote:
Hey Guys,

I'm about to install a new plasma on the wall. I've heard that its
againts "code" to simply pass
the screens power cord in wall... is that correct ? If thats the case,
do any of you know the
Canadian safety code chapter on this ???

Thanks,

Joe

MonoPrice sells HDMI cables that are rated for in-wall installation...

You might check with them on the power cord question. Their tech
support is pretty good.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...n+wall&x=0&y=0

In my case, I bought a flat plastic channel (~4" x 3/4") at HD made
for hiding cables.

It mounts flat to the wall and I painted it to match.

I've already had to open it to change cables, so I'm glad it wasn't in
the wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 7, 7:52*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 7, 1:28*am, 4x12 wrote:

Hey Guys,

I'm about to install a new plasma on the wall. I've heard that its
againts "code" to simply pass
the screens power cord in wall... is that correct ? If thats the case,
do any of you know the
Canadian safety code chapter on this ???

Thanks,

Joe

MonoPrice sells HDMI cables that are rated for in-wall installation...

I don't think there is any special rating required to run signal
cables through walls. It's routinely done with regular HDMI,
component video, audio cables, etc. However it's a US code violation
to run any kind of extension cord through walls and I would suspect
it's probably the same in Canada.

I looked at mounting a LCD TV on the wall and came to the conclusion
that for a main viewing location, eg family room, it's just not
comfortable to be looking up. I decided to place mine on a stand
that leaves it about 2 1/2 feet off the floor.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...mi+in+wall&x=0....

In my case, I bought a flat plastic channel (~4" x 3/4") at HD made
for hiding cables.

It mounts flat to the wall and I painted it to match.

I've already had to open it to change cables, so I'm glad it wasn't in
the wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 7, 1:28*am, 4x12 wrote:

[...]

As per trad's comment.......I toyed with wall mounting but after
researching & trying them out (from a viewing point of view), settled
on a floor stand that places the center line of both (a 37" and a 42")
at about 36".

Like the display for desktop computers, the center line of the TV
should be ~ at seated eyeball height. Of course deviation from that
height is fine since viewing distances are much further.

Comfortable TV viewing (for long periods of time) depends on having
one's head level and looking forward unless the neck is supported by a
high back chair or sofa. Having a beer within easy reach is also
helpful.

A TV stand greatly simplifies installation as well. BTDT

But to answer your orginal question;

power cord "wall pass through", though quick, simple & easy is a no-
no. (But I've done it in certain temporary situations)

The correct way; install a new receptacle or run wire mold.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 08:46:49 -0700 (PDT), fftt
wrote:

snip

power cord "wall pass through", though quick, simple & easy is a no-
no. (But I've done it in certain temporary situations)

The correct way; install a new receptacle or run wire mold.

cheers
Bob

Before I knew running the cord through the wall might be an issue, I
did just that. In my case, I have the 46" TV on the wall in the
bedroom and the rest of my equipment (Cable box, DVR, Blue-Ray) on the
other side of that wall (a walk-in closet). In my installation, one
can see the power cord all the way as it travels through the wall. In
other words, it is never "hidden" behind wall board. However,
technically it is in the wall for the 4" from one side to the other.
It that still a problem according to code? If yes, what if I enlarged
the hole? If it was 6" in diameter instead of 2", would it then be
OK? What if I took that to an extreme and made it like the
pass-though "window" we used to have between our kitchen and dining
room (2' x 3')? Would that be OK to pass a power cord through?

What if I put 2" diameter conduit through the existing 2" hole thereby
sealing the wall interior from the hole. Would that make it OK? It's
working just fine, of course, and I don't believe it to be dangerous
in any way, but I would rather be code compliant than not.

Thanks,
Pat

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 7, 1:28*am, 4x12 wrote:

[...]

the wall.- Hide quoted text -

I looked at mounting a LCD TV on the wall and came to the
conclusion that for a main viewing location, eg family room, it's just
not comfortable to be looking up.

"wall mounting" and "looking up" do not need to go hand in hand.

My 42" TV is wall mounted on a swivle/tilt mount but is also at eye
level while seated. We never use the tilt feature, but we often swivel
it when there's "extra" people in the room. Flat against the wall it
faces my recliner and a love seat where my wife seats when it's just
the 2 of us, but we swivel it towards the other couch if we have
company or the wife wants to lie on the longer couch.

We see no loss of clarity or color when it's swiveled.

Below the TV we have a "2 column" 3 shelf unit that houses the DVR
box, receiver, DVD Recorder, etc. It's really not much higher than it
would be if we used the pedestal on top of the shelf unit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 22:28:07 -0700 (PDT), 4x12
wrote:

Hey Guys,

I'm about to install a new plasma on the wall. I've heard that its
againts "code" to simply pass
the screens power cord in wall... is that correct ? If thats the case,
do any of you know the
Canadian safety code chapter on this ???

Thanks,

Joe

Put your outlet behind the plasma. I have my theater equipment
plugged into a surge protector, and that is on a separate circuit to
help prevent interference.