Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] greenpjs@neo.rr.com is offline

Default New plasma on wall install....

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 08:46:49 -0700 (PDT), fftt
wrote:

snip

power cord "wall pass through", though quick, simple & easy is a no-
no. (But I've done it in certain temporary situations)

The correct way; install a new receptacle or run wire mold.

cheers
Bob

Before I knew running the cord through the wall might be an issue, I
did just that. In my case, I have the 46" TV on the wall in the
bedroom and the rest of my equipment (Cable box, DVR, Blue-Ray) on the
other side of that wall (a walk-in closet). In my installation, one
can see the power cord all the way as it travels through the wall. In
other words, it is never "hidden" behind wall board. However,
technically it is in the wall for the 4" from one side to the other.
It that still a problem according to code? If yes, what if I enlarged
the hole? If it was 6" in diameter instead of 2", would it then be
OK? What if I took that to an extreme and made it like the
pass-though "window" we used to have between our kitchen and dining
room (2' x 3')? Would that be OK to pass a power cord through?

What if I put 2" diameter conduit through the existing 2" hole thereby
sealing the wall interior from the hole. Would that make it OK? It's
working just fine, of course, and I don't believe it to be dangerous
in any way, but I would rather be code compliant than not.

Thanks,
Pat