Posted to alt.home.repair

Default electronic thermostat installation

hi

I want to replace my existing baseboard heater thermostat. I have new
one (Honeywell RLV 450) but it only has two wires for connections and
the old one has 4 wire hookup. What wires are used (there are two red
and two black wires)?

Pepper
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Oct 5, 1:10*pm, pepper wrote:
hi

I want to replace my existing baseboard heater thermostat. I have new
one (Honeywell RLV 450) but it only has two wires for connections and
the old one has 4 wire hookup. What wires are used (there are two red
and two black wires)?

Pepper

If you have to ask perhaps you need to hire an electrician. Not
something you need to be messing with.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Oct 5, 11:10*am, pepper wrote:
hi

I want to replace my existing baseboard heater thermostat. I have new
one (Honeywell RLV 450) but it only has two wires for connections and
the old one has 4 wire hookup. What wires are used (there are two red
and two black wires)?

Pepper

Is this a 240VAC baseboard? sounds like you might have got a
thermostat for 120VAC that only breaks one leg of the wiring. Not
sure if it's code compliant to do that with 240VAC or not but I'm
pretty sure that remembering back to messing with my parents' house,
the thermostats in each room were double pole.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

"pepper" wrote in message
hi

I want to replace my existing baseboard heater thermostat. I have new
one (Honeywell RLV 450) but it only has two wires for connections and
the old one has 4 wire hookup. What wires are used (there are two red
and two black wires)?

Pepper

Do ya' think maybe it's a good idea for starters to at least buy the right
class of thermostat--- instead of trying to force-fit the wrong one? Your
first clue is the number of connectors is wrong...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 1:42*pm, "John H. Holliday" wrote:
"pepper" wrote in message

hi

I want to replace my existing baseboard heater thermostat. I have new
one (Honeywell RLV 450) but it only has two wires for connections and
the old one has 4 wire hookup. What wires are used (there are two red
and two black wires)?

Pepper

Do ya' think maybe it's a good idea for starters to at least buy the right
class of thermostat--- instead of trying to force-fit the wrong one? Your
first clue is the number of connectors is wrong...

The thermostat is rated for 240 VAC and the instructions say it is
suitable for a 4-wire hook-up.

If it helps, I can send a picture of these instructions.

Thanks Phil

Posted to alt.home.repair

I want to replace my existing baseboard heater thermostat. I have new
one (Honeywell RLV 450) but it only has two wires for connections and
the old one has 4 wire hookup. What wires are used (there are two red
and two black wires)?

*You can use a single pole thermostat for a two pole installation on a
baseboard heater. I prefer not to do it that way for safety reasons. When
the thermostat is off one leg on the heater will always have juice on it.

What you need to do is splice one hot leg and one load wire together. Than
just follow the instructions for line and load on the new thermostat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

I want to replace my existing baseboard heater thermostat. I have new
one (Honeywell RLV 450) but it only has two wires for connections and
the old one has 4 wire hookup. What wires are used (there are two red
and two black wires)?

*You can use a single pole thermostat for a two pole installation on a
baseboard heater. I prefer not to do it that way for safety reasons.
When the thermostat is off one leg on the heater will always have juice on
it.

What you need to do is splice one hot leg and one load wire together.
Than just follow the instructions for line and load on the new thermostat.

Ditto what John said, from a safety point , but also be sure that the
amperage rating of the single pole unit is adequate for the amount of
wattage you're looking to control

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm wondering if he has a 24 (twenty four) VAC themostat?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus