Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default How to make quarter rounds and to make a diagonal cut with commontools?

On Sep 30, 9:03*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:

I have 3"x3" lumber and I would like to do one of two things:

1. Make a 3" quarter round, or
2. Make a "diagonal" cut so that the lumber has a triangular 3"x3"x profile.

I have a table saw and a band saw.

Triangular cut - flop TS to 45, cut through one corner about 1/4" less
than halfway through (assuming normal size TS), insert tight-fitting
shim into saw kerf and tape across kerf in several places to hold
pieces together for safety while you complete the cut, flip stock over
and cut from opposite corner, again just short of halfway, complete
cut with a handsaw and cleanup with a hand plane.

Quarter round - mark desired profile on end grain of stock, make a cut
with the saw blade height just shy of the drawn profile mark (marked
curve is facing concave side up), move fence ~1/4" and adjust blade
height to just short of the line, make cut, repeat process. The trick
is to make the repeated cuts on two sides and try to leave the largest
square possible in the area to be wasted. Use the shim/tape to
stabilize the kerf(s) as necessary for safety. There are variations
on this technique, and safety is paramount, so plan out your cuts
before you have an unexpected one.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

In article , RicodJour wrote:
On Sep 30, 9:03=A0pm, Aaron Fude wrote:

I have 3"x3" lumber and I would like to do one of two things:

1. Make a 3" quarter round, or
2. Make a "diagonal" cut so that the lumber has a triangular 3"x3"x profi=

le.

I have a table saw and a band saw.

Triangular cut - flop TS to 45, cut through one corner about 1/4" less
than halfway through (assuming normal size TS), insert tight-fitting
shim into saw kerf and tape across kerf in several places to hold
pieces together for safety while you complete the cut, flip stock over
and cut from opposite corner, again just short of halfway, complete
cut with a handsaw and cleanup with a hand plane.

Criminy -- he said he has a band saw. With a band saw available, why would you
even consider doing this on a table saw instead?

Quarter round - mark desired profile on end grain of stock, make a cut
with the saw blade height just shy of the drawn profile mark (marked
curve is facing concave side up), move fence ~1/4" and adjust blade
height to just short of the line, make cut, repeat process. The trick
is to make the repeated cuts on two sides and try to leave the largest
square possible in the area to be wasted. Use the shim/tape to
stabilize the kerf(s) as necessary for safety. There are variations
on this technique, and safety is paramount, so plan out your cuts
before you have an unexpected one.

See above.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Oct 1, 10:53*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
RicodJour wrote:

Triangular cut - flop TS to 45, cut through one corner about 1/4" less
than halfway through (assuming normal size TS), insert tight-fitting
shim into saw kerf and tape across kerf in several places to hold
pieces together for safety while you complete the cut, flip stock over
and cut from opposite corner, again just short of halfway, complete
cut with a handsaw and cleanup with a hand plane.

Criminy -- he said he has a band saw. With a band saw available, why would you
even consider doing this on a table saw instead?

Someone had already mentioned how to do the 45 with a bandsaw. Why
would I want to chime in with a "me, too!"?

Quarter round - mark desired profile on end grain of stock, make a cut
with the saw blade height just shy of the drawn profile mark (marked
curve is facing concave side up), move fence ~1/4" and adjust blade
height to just short of the line, make cut, repeat process. *The trick
is to make the repeated cuts on two sides and try to leave the largest
square possible in the area to be wasted. *Use the shim/tape to
stabilize the kerf(s) as necessary for safety. *There are variations
on this technique, and safety is paramount, so plan out your cuts
before you have an unexpected one.

See above.

See above what? You left out the best part - where you said, "There
is no safe way to do this on the table saw." - referring to cutting
the quarter round. If you see above I described one safe way to do
it. There are others.

I would not choose which tools and method to use until I knew what the
lumber was and what the machines were like. I'm not assuming the OP
has a Unisaw or a Laguna bandsaw - he could have Craftsman hobbyist
machines. You are allowed to assume anything you'd like. That's only
fair.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

In article , RicodJour wrote:

You left out the best part - where you said, "There
is no safe way to do this on the table saw." - referring to cutting
the quarter round. If you see above I described one safe way to do
it.

You seem to have a rather loose definition of 'safe'.