Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using "old-work" hi-hats for new construction

I am doing a small room in my basement which will be sheetrocked. In
the past I have used new-work hi-hats, but I think it would be easier
to use old work hi-hats for 2 reasons.
1) Can put up ceiling first then cut hole instead of cutting out hole
before installing.
2) Can remove hi-hat to gain access to ceiling.

Anyone have inputs? Any disadvantages in doing this?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I am doing a small room in my basement which will be sheetrocked. In
the past I have used new-work hi-hats, but I think it would be easier
to use old work hi-hats for 2 reasons.
1) Can put up ceiling first then cut hole instead of cutting out hole
before installing.
2) Can remove hi-hat to gain access to ceiling.

Anyone have inputs? Any disadvantages in doing this?

The new work frames, are just a more durable installation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am doing a small room in my basement which will be sheetrocked. In
the past I have used new-work hi-hats, but I think it would be easier
to use old work hi-hats for 2 reasons.
1) Can put up ceiling first then cut hole instead of cutting out hole
before installing.
2) Can remove hi-hat to gain access to ceiling.

Anyone have inputs? Any disadvantages in doing this?

The new work frames, are just a more durable installation.

*I agree. The old work cans are only supported by the drywall unless you
install them next to a beam and drive a screw in. You would still have
access to the ceiling with new cans. They are made so that the "Can" can
drop down or be pushed up for access to the junction box. It is also easier
to lay out the recessed lights when you can see what obstacles will prevent
you from installing a light in a certain area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 27, 11:16*pm, Mikepier wrote:
I am doing a small room in my basement which will be sheetrocked. In
the past I have used new-work hi-hats, but I think it would be easier
to use old work hi-hats for 2 reasons.
1) Can put up ceiling first then cut hole instead of cutting out hole
before installing.

With a Rotozip you'll get a pretty much perfect hole either way.

2) Can remove hi-hat to gain access to ceiling.

What's hiding above that light that needs access?

Anyone have inputs? Any disadvantages in doing this?

It's pretty much of a toss up in my mind. It's a basement and you're
the one doing the installation - your call.

Posted to alt.home.repair

*I agree. *The old work cans are only supported by the drywall unless you
install them next to a beam and drive a screw in. *You would still have
access to the ceiling with new cans. *They are made so that the "Can" can
drop down or be pushed up for access to the junction box. *It is also easier
to lay out the recessed lights when you can see what obstacles will prevent
you from installing a light in a certain area.

I was not aware that you can remove the can on a new work hi-hat. Next
time I go to Lowes I have to check it out.
Basically I need access to the ceiling in case I need to run
something in the future.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 9:03*am, RicodJour wrote:
On Sep 27, 11:16*pm, Mikepier wrote:

I am doing a small room in my basement which will be sheetrocked. In
the past I have used new-work hi-hats, but I think it would be easier
to use old work hi-hats for 2 reasons.
1) Can put up ceiling first then cut hole instead of cutting out hole
before installing.

With a Rotozip you'll get a pretty much perfect hole either way.

2) Can remove hi-hat to gain access to ceiling.

What's hiding above that light that needs access?

Anyone have inputs? Any disadvantages in doing this?

It's pretty much of a toss up in my mind. *It's a basement and you're
the one doing the installation - your call.

I'll second the call for the Rotozip... if you don't have one, borrow/
rent it just for however many lights you have to put up... it will
make the cut much easier, and will come out looking perfect.