Posted to alt.home.repair
Zephyr Zephyr is offline

Default Using "old-work" hi-hats for new construction

On Sep 28, 9:03*am, RicodJour wrote:
On Sep 27, 11:16*pm, Mikepier wrote:

I am doing a small room in my basement which will be sheetrocked. In
the past I have used new-work hi-hats, but I think it would be easier
to use old work hi-hats for 2 reasons.
1) Can put up ceiling first then cut hole instead of cutting out hole
before installing.

With a Rotozip you'll get a pretty much perfect hole either way.

2) Can remove hi-hat to gain access to ceiling.

What's hiding above that light that needs access?

Anyone have inputs? Any disadvantages in doing this?

It's pretty much of a toss up in my mind. *It's a basement and you're
the one doing the installation - your call.

I'll second the call for the Rotozip... if you don't have one, borrow/
rent it just for however many lights you have to put up... it will
make the cut much easier, and will come out looking perfect.