Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using "old-work" hi-hats for new construction

I am doing a small room in my basement which will be sheetrocked. In
the past I have used new-work hi-hats, but I think it would be easier
to use old work hi-hats for 2 reasons.
1) Can put up ceiling first then cut hole instead of cutting out hole
before installing.
2) Can remove hi-hat to gain access to ceiling.

Anyone have inputs? Any disadvantages in doing this?

The new work frames, are just a more durable installation.

*I agree. The old work cans are only supported by the drywall unless you
install them next to a beam and drive a screw in. You would still have
access to the ceiling with new cans. They are made so that the "Can" can
drop down or be pushed up for access to the junction box. It is also easier
to lay out the recessed lights when you can see what obstacles will prevent
you from installing a light in a certain area.