Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Lighting a gas water heater pilot

My friend is having trouble lighting the pilot on his gas water
heater.

I've looked ont the web and so far only found instructions for when
things are going well, which doesn't apply here.

It has a built=in sparker, like a gas grill. Should we be able to see
the spark that the sparker makes while looking through the hole?

If the sparker doesn't work, can I use a match? In that same hole?
Do I need s really long match? I have none. Can I light the straw
from a real straw broom?

He's been trying to sell this house for a year, finally has, and the
walk-through is on Monday. We're hoping to light the wh Sunday so the
water will be warm in time for the walk-thru.

We had the red button pressed all the way down for at least a minute
(not realizing it wasn't lit) but never smelled any gas. All the
valves in the supply pipe appear to be turned on, and the stove works.

Should we have smelled gas in just a minute?

Thanks a lot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
[...]

If the line's been off or otherwise has air in it, it can take a long
long time to bleed by holding that pilot button. But yes, you should be
able to see the spark, and yes, you can use a match, straw broom straw,
rolled up news paper, candle lighter, propane torch, etc. I actually
held a flame in one long enough to heat up the thermocouple and i didn't
even have to hold the button after that, just wait for the air to
bleed. You should be able to see the air 'blow' your flame sideways a
little if infact the valve is being opened to allow gas to flow. no,
you may not smell it after just a minute. Pilot circuits use very
little flow. like i said, it may take a while.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
[...]

It's not unusual for service techs to take the gas line loose
and turn on the shutoff valve to purge the air out of the pipes
quickly. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who's not familiar
with gas appliances. If you have a friend who's a handyman, he
may be able to do it for you. Around here, the gas company is
glad to send out someone to light you pilots and check everything
for leaks. I don't know about gas company policies in your area.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 22:21:52 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

mm wrote:
[...]

That's a good idea. I'll try to check on that. Thanks, and thank you
Steve and BBill.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
mm wrote:
[...]

I have a gas hot water heater at my cabin. Every time we leave, we must
turn off the gas. So, when I turn it on, I then have to go start the stove
with a match. This takes upward of a minute. From there, the line goes to
the HWH.

I use one of those long lighters you can get at the 99 cent store. My
problem is that it takes a long time for the air to get out of the line, and
the pilot to light. Rather than laying there for several minutes, I turn
the knob to the ON position with the lighter in there. This causes gas to
flow to the main burner, and that lights with a few seconds. I have since
quit trying to heat up the thermocouple and waiting for the air to bleed, as
my hand cannot hold the flame on the lighter for that long a time. And I
don't want to just keep my finger on the button until I smell gas and then
strike a match.

Try the ON thing if your dryer is configured to do so. Start at PILOT
position first until you have the match in the right place. An assistant
turning the control valve makes it easier, too.

Would like to know if that helps. Just be sure you have the lit match in
there when you turn it to ON so you don't get a gas buildup that could cost
you your eyebrows and all that lovely nose hair.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
mm wrote:
[...]

Just the confidence of knowing you don't have any leaks is reason to call
the gas company. What a great idea, DD.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
[...]

It sparks as you push the button down. Holding it down does nothing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
mm wrote:
[...]

Yes, I like to heat the thermocouple in situations like that. It's fast
and painless. I have a very small flame propane torch that works
perfect for the job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/19/2009 10:30 PM (ET) mm wrote the following:
[...]

What Steve Barker said.
I have a propane fired fireplace in my sunroom that is only used in the
winter (naturally). It takes so long to start up the first time that my
thumb hurts and I have to switch back and forth between thumbs to keep
the button down before it will light, and then it might burn for a
second or two and then go out, requiring a relight.
..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
[...]

I used to do the same thing when I had to light gas fireplaces that had been
off for months (sometimes years). I would hold the flame on the thermocouple
until I could get the gas burner to open up then keep the flame near the
thermocouple and pilot until all the old gas/ air was bled out and the
burner fired up (usually only a fraction of the time it would have taken if
I held in the pilot starter button).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:

If the line's been off or otherwise has air in it, it can take a long
long time to bleed by holding that pilot button. But yes, you should be
able to see the spark, and yes, you can use a match, straw broom straw,
rolled up news paper, candle lighter, propane torch, etc.

The reason modern water heaters have a spark ignitor is that the burner
is inside a sealed chamber to prevent an explosion if you place
flammable liquids next to the heater. in order to actually reach the
pilot burner with a match you must remove an access panel. According to
at least one manufacturer (Rheem), if that panel is removed, the gasket
must be replaced for continued anti-explosion safety.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Butane Aim N Flame gadgets are really first rate.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony" wrote in message
If the line's been off or otherwise has air in it, it can
take a long
long time to bleed by holding that pilot button. But yes,
you should be
able to see the spark, and yes, you can use a match,
straw broom straw,
rolled up news paper, candle lighter, propane torch, etc.
I actually
held a flame in one long enough to heat up the
thermocouple and i didn't
even have to hold the button after that, just wait for
the air to
bleed.

Yes, I like to heat the thermocouple in situations like
that. It's fast
and painless. I have a very small flame propane torch that
works
perfect for the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you like to live with adventure. Use a propane torch to
heat the thermocouple. Then turn the gas valve on. The torch
will light the gas, and by the time you turn it off, the
thermocouple is warm, and the pilot is lit.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"willshak" wrote in message
m...

What Steve Barker said.
I have a propane fired fireplace in my sunroom that is only
used in the
winter (naturally). It takes so long to start up the first
time that my
thumb hurts and I have to switch back and forth between
thumbs to keep
the button down before it will light, and then it might burn
for a
second or two and then go out, requiring a relight.
..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
If you like to live with adventure. Use a propane torch to
heat the thermocouple. Then turn the gas valve on. The torch
will light the gas, and by the time you turn it off, the
thermocouple is warm, and the pilot is lit.

You've seen my Jesus method for finding circuit breakers,
I call the use of a torch to get the main gas valve on to
purge the air, "The Satan Method". If you're not careful
you can get a big ball of flame. *snicker*

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
My friend is having trouble lighting the pilot on his gas water
heater.

I've looked ont the web and so far only found instructions for when
things are going well, which doesn't apply here.

It has a built=in sparker, like a gas grill. Should we be able to see
the spark that the sparker makes while looking through the hole?

If the sparker doesn't work, can I use a match? In that same hole?
Do I need s really long match? I have none. Can I light the straw
from a real straw broom?

Call the gas co., they will probably do it for free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
If you like to live with adventure. Use a propane torch to heat the
thermocouple. Then turn the gas valve on. The torch will light the gas,
and by the time you turn it off, the thermocouple is warm, and the pilot
is lit.

You've seen my Jesus method for finding circuit breakers,
I call the use of a torch to get the main gas valve on to
purge the air, "The Satan Method". If you're not careful
you can get a big ball of flame. *snicker*

TDD

As long as you have a flame at the pilot light or at the burner there is
absolutely no danger period

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 22:14:09 -0600, "Bob M." wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
My friend is having trouble lighting the pilot on his gas water
heater.

I've looked ont the web and so far only found instructions for when
things are going well, which doesn't apply here.

It has a built=in sparker, like a gas grill. Should we be able to see
the spark that the sparker makes while looking through the hole?

If the sparker doesn't work, can I use a match? In that same hole?
Do I need s really long match? I have none. Can I light the straw
from a real straw broom?

Call the gas co., they will probably do it for free.

Thanks for the idea.

As it turns out, my friend might have lit it Friday, or I might have
lit it today. We were looking straight into the hole, and the pilot
was way off to the left. I was lying on my left side and had to move
towards my feet to finally see the pilot. So I don't know when it
got lit.

The walk-through for the house is tomorrow or Tuesday and my friend,
the seller, doesn't know when they are coming and he wanted the water
to be hot in the morning.

Oh, while we there tonight, he called the plumber who put the WH in
originally and asked about lighting with a match. The guy said it
can't be done, but neither of us believed him (partly because one of
you guys told me otherwise). The sparker is the same sort of thing
one find on a gas grill for the patio. It might be a little hard to
get a match, even a long match in there, but I'm sure we could do it.
I brought a long thin candle.

It also turns out there was a class action and a recall on Whirlpool
gas WH igniters, and his plumber got him one free, but since the WH is
out of warranty (someone said, but the first link below says the
warranty period is 9 years (although maybe that is on the tank not
leaking and not on anything else???)) 5 years old, Whirlpool won't
pay to have it installed, and the plumber wants 150 dollars! It
doesn't look hard, but the old one is still working! And the house
will probably be sold by Wednesday. I think he's going to give the
new igniter (it's much bigger and more complicated than just that) to
the new owner, and he can decide what to do. It's certainly not our
place to start fiddling with a working water heater 3 days before the
house is sold.

Thanks for all the help.

selected urls about the recall

Arthur, you should look at these! I think they are dated 2005 and
2006, when you bought yours iiuc. Remember, you'll need a water
heater for your new home some day.

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 14:43:04 -0700, Bob wrote:

Steve Barker wrote:

If the line's been off or otherwise has air in it, it can take a long
long time to bleed by holding that pilot button. But yes, you should be
able to see the spark, and yes, you can use a match, straw broom straw,
rolled up news paper, candle lighter, propane torch, etc.

The reason modern water heaters have a spark ignitor is that the burner
is inside a sealed chamber to prevent an explosion if you place
flammable liquids next to the heater. in order to actually reach the
pilot burner with a match you must remove an access panel. According to
at least one manufacturer (Rheem), if that panel is removed, the gasket
must be replaced for continued anti-explosion safety.

In the webpages related to complaints about this wh, I did see this
"Whirlpool spokeswoman Jody Lau said the thermocouples are
malfunctioning due to new safety standards in gas water heater
ventilation systems.

As of July 2005, all new water heaters manufactured in the U.S. are to
include Flammable Vapor Ignition Resistant (FVIR) technology. The Gas
Manufacturer's Association in conjunction with the Consumer Product
Safety Commission voluntarily implemented this new safety standard in
2003."

But despite that, the pilot was visible, once I knew where to look,
which was once the pilot was lit. It would have been hard to light
with a match or straw or candle when I didn't know where to put the
flame (I'm proud to say I had actually thought about that before I got
there.) But now that we know where it is, I would think it would be
lightable with a match. OTOH, the only reason I thought the ignitor
might not be working is that I thought the pilot wasn't lit yet, and
maybe it was and we were looking straight into the access hole instead
of looking far to the left.

Thanks a lot.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 08:33:39 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

mm wrote:
[...]

I wasn't clear. On this model, the red button was the gas and the
black button was the sparker. The red button hss to be held down
until the air purges from the line if necessary, and after the gas
lights, until the thermocouple heats up enough to keep the gas on
without pressing the red buttonl
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 14:39:39 -0400, willshak
wrote:

[...]

LOL. Thanks. This is very applicable. The thing is lit now, but I
was looking in the wrong direction and have no idea how long it took.
.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Stormin Mormon wrote:
If you like to live with adventure. Use a propane torch to heat the
thermocouple. Then turn the gas valve on. The torch will light the gas,
and by the time you turn it off, the thermocouple is warm, and the pilot
is lit.

I'll keep this in mind for next time.

You've seen my Jesus method for finding circuit breakers,
I call the use of a torch to get the main gas valve on to
purge the air, "The Satan Method". If you're not careful
you can get a big ball of flame. *snicker*

Wait a second. That sounds bad!

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 12:26:54 -0400, Tony
wrote:

Steve Barker wrote:
mm wrote:
[...]

A great answer. You answered every questions I asked.

Yes, I like to heat the thermocouple in situations like that. It's fast
and painless. I have a very small flame propane torch that works
perfect for the job.

Hey, I have a little butane torch, but hadn't read this part of the
thread in time. As you'll see below, it started pretty easily,
despite the problems lots of otehrs have had with Whirlpool
thermocouples. I did have to hold down the button a minute or two,
and actually held it down much longer, because I couldn't see the
flame or smell gas and I thought I was still purging the air from the
line.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've not done the Jesus method myself, but have been present
when an electrician did. Worked fine. Fortunately, some
store employee didn't notice the breaker trip, and reset it
for him. That wouda been the Jesus Mutter Sputter method,
for the second trip.

Maybe that's why gas men don't have eye brows?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

You've seen my Jesus method for finding circuit breakers,
I call the use of a torch to get the main gas valve on to
purge the air, "The Satan Method". If you're not careful
you can get a big ball of flame. *snicker*

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, gosh. The country is being ruined by the far left.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

water heater pilot rick Home Repair 13 July 23rd 07 04:55 AM
water heater pilot HankC Home Repair 8 May 18th 07 04:53 PM
Hot Water Heater Pilot Ray DeVoe Home Repair 8 September 12th 06 10:33 AM
pilot going out in water heater Jeff Home Repair 8 June 7th 05 01:01 PM