Posted to alt.home.repair

Default extension cords

rb wrote:
Got into a box of extension cords today. Found an old outside 110 2 wire
one. Is there any reason to keep this???

What can you do with 110v 2 wire extension cords?

Hi,
To isolate ground wire. I often do that when I am using my O'scope for
certain measurement.
Posted to alt.home.repair
rb rb is offline

Got into a box of extension cords today. Found an old outside 110 2 wire
one. Is there any reason to keep this???

What can you do with 110v 2 wire extension cords?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rb" wrote in message
Got into a box of extension cords today. Found an old outside 110 2 wire
one. Is there any reason to keep this???

What can you do with 110v 2 wire extension cords?

Same thing that has been done with them for decades, extend cords.
Especially useful for lights and double insulated tools. You can even use it
inside the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"rb" wrote in message
Got into a box of extension cords today. Found an old outside 110 2
wire one. Is there any reason to keep this???

What can you do with 110v 2 wire extension cords?

Same thing that has been done with them for decades, extend cords.
Especially useful for lights and double insulated tools. You can even use
it inside the house.

That right thar is funny, I don't care who you are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Got into a box of extension cords today. Found an old outside 110 2 wire
one. Is there any reason to keep this???

What can you do with 110v 2 wire extension cords?

Use them for double-insulated electric tools and Christmas lights. The
problem with some tools and lights, though is that they may have the
one-blade-larger plugs that won't fit an older two-wire extension cord.
I've noticed that some Christmas light strings have the wider blade,
some don't.

Northe
Posted to alt.home.repair

rb wrote:
Got into a box of extension cords today. Found an old outside 110 2 wire
one. Is there any reason to keep this???

What can you do with 110v 2 wire extension cords?

Troubleshooting electrical problems in vehicles. Clip it to the battery
and you will have a known +12 or a known ground for your test light.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Northe wrote:
Got into a box of extension cords today. Found an old outside 110
2 wire one. Is there any reason to keep this???

What can you do with 110v 2 wire extension cords?

Use them for double-insulated electric tools and Christmas lights. The
problem with some tools and lights, though is that they may have the
one-blade-larger plugs that won't fit an older two-wire extension
cord. I've noticed that some Christmas light strings have the wider
blade, some don't.

The new plugs will fit the older cords if you grind down the polarizing
plug.

A Dremel tool works swell for this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/11/2009 7:29 PM HeyBub spake thus:

Northe wrote:

Got into a box of extension cords today. Found an old outside 110
2 wire one. Is there any reason to keep this???

What can you do with 110v 2 wire extension cords?

Use them for double-insulated electric tools and Christmas lights. The
problem with some tools and lights, though is that they may have the
one-blade-larger plugs that won't fit an older two-wire extension
cord. I've noticed that some Christmas light strings have the wider
blade, some don't.

The new plugs will fit the older cords if you grind down the polarizing
plug.

A Dremel tool works swell for this.

So does an ordinary hand file. Voop voop--done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
The new plugs will fit the older cords if you grind down the polarizing
plug.

A Dremel tool works swell for this.

So does an ordinary hand file. Voop voop--done.

Not that simple. You need a permit first, the work must be done by a
licensed professional and you have to file a plan to dispose of the copper
filings in a safe manner. Finished cord must be inspected by the same
outfit that applies the mattress tags.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Northe wrote:

Got into a box of extension cords today. Found an old outside 110
2 wire one. Is there any reason to keep this???

What can you do with 110v 2 wire extension cords?

Use them for double-insulated electric tools and Christmas lights. The
problem with some tools and lights, though is that they may have the
one-blade-larger plugs that won't fit an older two-wire extension
cord. I've noticed that some Christmas light strings have the wider
blade, some don't.

The new plugs will fit the older cords if you grind down the
polarizing plug.

A Dremel tool works swell for this.

So does an ordinary hand file. Voop voop--done.

Diagonal wire cutters are quicker.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

rb wrote:
Got into a box of extension cords today. Found an old outside 110 2 wire
one. Is there any reason to keep this???

What can you do with 110v 2 wire extension cords?

Sell them to your nearest mobster. They have many uses
for them.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Northe wrote:

Got into a box of extension cords today. Found an old outside
110 2 wire one. Is there any reason to keep this???

What can you do with 110v 2 wire extension cords?

Use them for double-insulated electric tools and Christmas lights.
The problem with some tools and lights, though is that they may
have the one-blade-larger plugs that won't fit an older two-wire
extension cord. I've noticed that some Christmas light strings
have the wider blade, some don't.

The new plugs will fit the older cords if you grind down the
polarizing plug.

A Dremel tool works swell for this.

So does an ordinary hand file. Voop voop--done.

Diagonal wire cutters are quicker.

It's okay - you can say what you mean. This is not a particularily PC
newsgroup - "Dikes" is permitted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message

Diagonal wire cutters are quicker.

It's okay - you can say what you mean. This is not a particularily PC
newsgroup - "Dikes" is permitted.

I'm not sure I'd know what to do with a -pair- of them though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Northe wrote:

Got into a box of extension cords today. * Found an old outside
110 2 wire one. * Is there any reason to keep this???

What can you do with 110v 2 wire extension cords?

Use them for double-insulated electric tools and Christmas lights.
The problem with some tools and lights, though is that they may
have the one-blade-larger plugs that won't fit an older two-wire
extension cord. I've noticed that some Christmas light strings
have the wider blade, some don't.

The new plugs will fit the older cords if you grind down the
polarizing plug.

A Dremel tool works swell for this.

So does an ordinary hand file. Voop voop--done.

Diagonal wire cutters are quicker.

It's okay - you can say what you mean. This is not a particularily PC
newsgroup - "Dikes" is permitted.

I was asked by a friend to help with some electrical problem at a
rural retreat center were I was attending a conference. The friend
lived nearby and was familiar with the staff of the center which I was
not. After poking around at the problem for a few minutes I found the
cause and decided that the entire circuit had to be rewired. As we
were walking towards the workshop to see what might be available for
tools. I complained that I hated working with other peoples tools
because they never have exactly what I think I need to do the job and
I finished up by saying that I bet there wasn't one pair of dikes in
the whole place. My buddy chuckled and said "I can assure you there
are several sets of dikes here." It took me several additional steps
to realize what he was trying to tell me. It then took me several
minutes to compose myself so I could resume work.

--
Tom Horne

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

Northe wrote:

Got into a box of extension cords today. Found an old outside
110 2 wire one. Is there any reason to keep this???

What can you do with 110v 2 wire extension cords?
Use them for double-insulated electric tools and Christmas lights.
The problem with some tools and lights, though is that they may
have the one-blade-larger plugs that won't fit an older two-wire
extension cord. I've noticed that some Christmas light strings
have the wider blade, some don't.
The new plugs will fit the older cords if you grind down the
polarizing plug.

A Dremel tool works swell for this.
So does an ordinary hand file. Voop voop--done.

Diagonal wire cutters are quicker.

It's okay - you can say what you mean. This is not a particularily PC
newsgroup - "Dikes" is permitted.

Some of my best friends are diagonal wire cutters.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

Diagonal wire cutters are quicker.

It's okay - you can say what you mean. This is not a particularily PC
newsgroup - "Dikes" is permitted.

I'm not sure I'd know what to do with a -pair- of them though.

I've always enjoyed just watching them...

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

Northe wrote:

Got into a box of extension cords today. Found an old outside
110 2 wire one. Is there any reason to keep this???

What can you do with 110v 2 wire extension cords?
Use them for double-insulated electric tools and Christmas lights.
The problem with some tools and lights, though is that they may
have the one-blade-larger plugs that won't fit an older two-wire
extension cord. I've noticed that some Christmas light strings
have the wider blade, some don't.
The new plugs will fit the older cords if you grind down the
polarizing plug.

A Dremel tool works swell for this.
So does an ordinary hand file. Voop voop--done.

Diagonal wire cutters are quicker.

It's okay - you can say what you mean. This is not a particularily PC
newsgroup - "Dikes" is permitted.

Some of my best friends are diagonal wire cutters.

TDD

What's the best tool for cutting round wire?
Posted to alt.home.repair

E Z Peaces wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

Northe wrote:

[...]

I have cable cutters for that. I have flush cutters too
and they have nothing to do with toilets.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, you can't put round peg into a square hole. So, I
hope you can find a pair of round diags.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus