Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best way to dry carpet

Whenever we have an area of carpet that gets wet, my brother thinks
that the best way to dry it is to use a heat lamp. I think that
unless the relative humidity is extremely high, a fan would work
much better.

What do you think? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
Posted to alt.home.repair

Daniel,

Whenever we have an area of carpet that gets wet, my brother thinks
that the best way to dry it is to use a heat lamp. *I think that
unless the relative humidity is extremely high, a fan would work
much better.

What do you think? *Thank you in advance for all replies.

I think what is the best to pull the carpet away from the floor. The
pad just soaks up a lot of the moisture and fosters fungus growth.

I would use a wet/dry vac to get as much water up and then perhaps
run a dehumidifier.

There's got to be someone in your area that does this. Ask them what
they do.

MJ
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 12:49*pm, Daniel Prince wrote:
Whenever we have an area of carpet that gets wet, my brother thinks
that the best way to dry it is to use a heat lamp. *I think that
unless the relative humidity is extremely high, a fan would work
much better.

What do you think? *Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
REALLY good. *I'll have some of that!"

Try both ways, dump alot of gallons of water and see who is right, no
point in guessing or argueing is there. Let us know what dries faster.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 2:17*pm, MJWallace wrote:
Daniel,

Whenever we have an area of carpet that gets wet, my brother thinks
that the best way to dry it is to use a heat lamp. *I think that
unless the relative humidity is extremely high, a fan would work
much better.

What do you think? *Thank you in advance for all replies.

I think what is the best to pull the carpet away from the floor. The
pad just soaks up a lot of the moisture and fosters fungus growth.

I would use a wet/dry vac to get as much water up and then perhaps
run a dehumidifier.

There's got to be someone in your area that does this. Ask them what
they do.

MJ

After an accident with a toilet that flooded a whole house I mixed up
about 20 gal of OXY CLEAN and pour it out over the carpet then called
the pros to have the water extracted. You would never know it ever
happened.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Daniel Prince wrote:
Whenever we have an area of carpet that gets wet, my brother thinks
that the best way to dry it is to use a heat lamp. I think that
unless the relative humidity is extremely high, a fan would work
much better.

What do you think? Thank you in advance for all replies.

I would consider a heat lamp to be a fire hazard and to pose a danger of
shrinking/warping/melting synthetic fiber carpet. Carpet backing is
often, I believe, natural fiber and subject to shrinkage.

Are you addressing shampooed carpet or disaster? When carpet is wet,
use a shop vac to remove as much water as possible.....for disaster,
where the padding is saturated, rent a heavy duty vac with squeegee
nozzle. Then run AC or heat to get air dry and run fans in room with
wet carpet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 10:49:02 -0700, Daniel Prince
wrote:

Whenever we have an area of carpet that gets wet, my brother thinks
that the best way to dry it is to use a heat lamp. I think that
unless the relative humidity is extremely high, a fan would work
much better.

What do you think? Thank you in advance for all replies.

Using both fan and lamp will dry the carpet faster. But, the best way
is the safer way minus the heat lamp.
Posted to alt.home.repair

When we had a flooded carpet area, we opened windows and put a couple of
fans on. This was during the summer. Then we called a professional service
in to take care of it. The service said we should close the windows and
turn on the central air as low as it will go until they got there. After
they arrived, they used a wet vac to remove as much water as possible. Then
they set up high speed fans in the rooms, closed all the windows, and said
to keep the AC on and set to as low as possible. They said that the AC
dehumidifies the air and takes out moisture that the fans are creating while
blowing over the wet surface. And, by keeping the room cool, there is less
chance of mold growing

My thought would have been to turn up the heat to help things dry out, but
they said that is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Daniel Prince wrote:
Whenever we have an area of carpet that gets wet, my brother thinks
that the best way to dry it is to use a heat lamp. I think that
unless the relative humidity is extremely high, a fan would work
much better.

What do you think? Thank you in advance for all replies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My thought would have been to turn up the heat to help things dry out, but
they said that is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Turning the furnace heat up instead of turning the air conditioner to
a low temperature would be wrong, but using a heat lamp is not wrong ,
wrong, wrong.

The reason the air conditioner trick works is not because of the
temperature. It's because the side effect of an air conditioner is
to dehumidify the air.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Daniel Prince wrote:
Whenever we have an area of carpet that gets wet, my brother thinks
that the best way to dry it is to use a heat lamp. I think that
unless the relative humidity is extremely high, a fan would work
much better.

What do you think? Thank you in advance for all replies.

Besides the AC, you should use a regular dehumidifier. If you don't have
one, borrow or rent one. That'll pull more moisture out than the AC. Using
heat will cause the carpet to mildew.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Beta-B4- wrote:
When we had a flooded carpet area, we opened windows and put a couple of
fans on. This was during the summer. Then we called a professional service
in to take care of it. The service said we should close the windows and
turn on the central air as low as it will go until they got there. After
they arrived, they used a wet vac to remove as much water as possible. Then
they set up high speed fans in the rooms, closed all the windows, and said
to keep the AC on and set to as low as possible. They said that the AC
dehumidifies the air and takes out moisture that the fans are creating while
blowing over the wet surface. And, by keeping the room cool, there is less
chance of mold growing

My thought would have been to turn up the heat to help things dry out, but
they said that is wrong, wrong, wrong.

I probably would have alternated the AC and the heat. I've done it
already when the house was the right temp but very humid, it's drys out
the air FAST! If you hadn't included the part about the cold slowing
the mold I probably wouldn't have believed that to be the best way.
Unfortunately I often need to know WHY not just HOW before I believe
something.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Sanity, Na thanks wrote:
Actually, a whole house AC running on a normal dedicated 2 phase 220V line
has a LOT more air drying capacity than a portable, "regular", 120V
dehumidifier.

The house AC is around 4-10x more powerful and typically more efficient than a
portable unit. It also dumps the collected water to drain, while the
portable would have to be emptied or setup with a hose.

AC and dehumidifiers freeze up or lose efficiency when the house gets too cold
so the owner may have to alternate some heat cycles with the furnace to keep
the temperature above 65F in order for the AC to function well. That's why
they rate AC at a really high temperature such as testing at 85F in 85%
humidity. IF they tested those at 60F they'd barely work. .

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...et-392639-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/18/2017 12:14 AM, Na thanks wrote:
Actually, a whole house AC running on a normal dedicated 2 phase 220V
line
has a LOT more air drying capacity than a portable, "regular", 120V
dehumidifier.

I've seen single-phase and 3-phase but who makes a 2-phase central air unit?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/18/2017 02:44 PM, Tekkie� wrote:
On 18-May-2017, Jack Frost wrote:

I've seen single-phase and 3-phase but who makes a 2-phase central air
unit?

What is 2 phase? I bet Na thanks doesn't know...

Yah, there are a whole bunch of clowns that think a center-tapped
transformer automatically gives them 2-phase.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tekkie®"
Thu, 18 May 2017 18:42:31 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Who has 2 phase?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-phase_electric_power

Two-phase electrical power was an early 20th-century polyphase
alternating current electric power distribution system. Two circuits
were used, with voltage phases differing by one-quarter of a cycle,
90°. Usually circuits used four wires, two for each phase. Less
frequently, three wires were used, with a common wire with a larger-
diameter conductor. Some early two-phase generators had two complete
rotor and field assemblies, with windings physically offset to provide
two-phase power. The generators at Niagara Falls installed in 1895 were
the largest generators in the world at that time and were two-phase
machines. As of 21st century, two-phase power was superseded with three
phases and is not used in the industry. There remains, however, a two-
phase commercial distribution system in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania;
many buildings in Center City are permanently wired for two-phase
[citation needed] and PECO (the local electric utility company) has
continued the service. This type of service happens to exist in
Hartford, Connecticut. It does serve a few buildings in that city.