Posted to alt.home.repair
Beta-B4- Beta-B4- is offline

Default Best way to dry carpet

When we had a flooded carpet area, we opened windows and put a couple of
fans on. This was during the summer. Then we called a professional service
in to take care of it. The service said we should close the windows and
turn on the central air as low as it will go until they got there. After
they arrived, they used a wet vac to remove as much water as possible. Then
they set up high speed fans in the rooms, closed all the windows, and said
to keep the AC on and set to as low as possible. They said that the AC
dehumidifies the air and takes out moisture that the fans are creating while
blowing over the wet surface. And, by keeping the room cool, there is less
chance of mold growing

My thought would have been to turn up the heat to help things dry out, but
they said that is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Daniel Prince wrote:
Whenever we have an area of carpet that gets wet, my brother thinks
that the best way to dry it is to use a heat lamp. I think that
unless the relative humidity is extremely high, a fan would work
much better.

What do you think? Thank you in advance for all replies.