Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Best way to dry carpet

Daniel Prince wrote:
Whenever we have an area of carpet that gets wet, my brother thinks
that the best way to dry it is to use a heat lamp. I think that
unless the relative humidity is extremely high, a fan would work
much better.

What do you think? Thank you in advance for all replies.

I would consider a heat lamp to be a fire hazard and to pose a danger of
shrinking/warping/melting synthetic fiber carpet. Carpet backing is
often, I believe, natural fiber and subject to shrinkage.

Are you addressing shampooed carpet or disaster? When carpet is wet,
use a shop vac to remove as much water as possible.....for disaster,
where the padding is saturated, rent a heavy duty vac with squeegee
nozzle. Then run AC or heat to get air dry and run fans in room with
wet carpet.