Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Granite + pebbles path

Hi,

Here's the look I want: http://freeboundaries.com/path.jpg

BUT, I would like granite in place of slate.

Does granite come in that shape? Or can I cut it to that shape on a wet
saw. Anyway, how would I go about achieving this look with granite? Of
course in needs to be rough so it's not slippery.

Thanks in advance,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

Here's the look I want: http://freeboundaries.com/path.jpg

BUT, I would like granite in place of slate.

Does granite come in that shape? Or can I cut it to that shape on a wet
saw. Anyway, how would I go about achieving this look with granite? Of
course in needs to be rough so it's not slippery.

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

granite comes in any shape you want. it comes out of the quarry in sheets
about 6'x10' or larger, and polished. it can be cut dry with a diamond
blade, or on a wet saw if you have smaller pieces, unless you get it
fabricated at a place that makes kitchen countertops.

these are about the size of sink cutout. you might want to ask them for a
bunch of scraps and work on them yourself.

they'll be slippery as greased glass when wet. you could sandblast them to
make them rough, but they won't look very pretty.

that's why they use slate in this application.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 15:45:55 -0400, Aaron Fude
wrote:

Hi,

Here's the look I want: http://freeboundaries.com/path.jpg

BUT, I would like granite in place of slate.

Does granite come in that shape? Or can I cut it to that shape on a wet
saw. Anyway, how would I go about achieving this look with granite? Of
course in needs to be rough so it's not slippery.

In what part of the world do you live? if in northern NY, VT, or NH
- and maybe lots of other places- there is a quarry close enough to
look at & see what they have & if they'll split the stone for you.

Granite comes in a bunch of colors, coarseness & grades.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 1, 1:01*pm, "charlie" wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

[...]

The asking around at a countertop outlet is a great idea. The sink
cutouts might be just what you're looking for, and typically a
countertop slab is polished only on one side. The reverse side will
probably look like dull stone, however, as granite doesn't necessarily
stand out until polished.

Some places may have boneyards too, scraps too small for any real
installation. They can be spendy, however, even tho they may be
scrap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

gwandsh wrote:
On Sep 1, 1:01 pm, "charlie" wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

[...]

Can 1.5" granite be cut on a wet saw?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
gwandsh wrote:
On Sep 1, 1:01 pm, "charlie" wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

[...]

it depends upon the size of the blade, not the material. a 10" wet saw can
cut up to about 3.5" thick before it starts running into problems with
clearance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

charlie wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
gwandsh wrote:
On Sep 1, 1:01 pm, "charlie" wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

[...]

So I've learned that the roughest granite will come is "honed". That's
way not rough enough for my application, I presume.

Unless there is a way to rough it up - e.g. blast with something? Any ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:

-snip-

So I've learned that the roughest granite will come is "honed". That's
way not rough enough for my application, I presume.

Doesn't sound it-

I've seen split granite pavers & slabs at some hardscaping place or
other. My usual vendor is Dagastino block in Schenectady- but a
quick look at their site doesn't show any. The slabs were 3-4
inches thick and 2-3' rough rectangles if I remember right- but they
would break them on their machinery for a lot less than the cost of a
14" diamond blade.

Call a granite quarry. They will know who carries them.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 16:39:06 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

-snip-
I've seen split granite pavers & slabs at some hardscaping place or
other.

-snip-

This isn't the place I saw them, but it is pretty close to what I
remember seeing-
http://www.newenglandnativestone.com/prodpages/gr1.html

They should work nicely for what you want-- and they shouldn't be
slippery when wet.

No big box and few lumber yards are going to know this stuff is even
out there. Start at a local quarry and work down tot he retailer.

Jim

Looks like PC is following the path of B&D Leon Woodworking 61 August 22nd 08 07:19 PM
The path before me Kevin Woodturning 11 February 28th 08 12:46 PM
Making a path... Rich UK diy 2 April 15th 07 10:36 PM
Washing builders pebbles Broadback UK diy 7 June 27th 05 09:53 AM