Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Security Systems (OT?)

My cars and neighbors cars have been broken into several times in the
past month. I suspect it's the same person doing the rounds every
couple of weeks. I want to install a system to CATCH this guy. I'm
not interested in just deterring them. I'm not sure what my best
options are.

I'm thinking about night vision cameras for one. I can get a system
for around $350, but I'm not sure if it's sufficient. Even if I got
video footage, would it be enough to do something? The systems I'm
thinking of a

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...051&CatId=1923

One thing that concerns me is that one review mentioned that the
cameras put out a faint red glow, making them visible at night. Is
this true of all IR cameras? I'm also considering putting a wireless
video camera in the glove box, so I'm pretty much guarenteed a decent
picture of the face.

The other thing I can think of is putting in a wireless motion sensor
in my glove box (I already own one, and it's X10 so I can have it turn
on a radio/light etc). If I can catch the guy in the act, that would
be ideal.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas/thoughts/experience on the
subject that might help me.

Thanks

John
Posted to alt.home.repair

John wrote:
[...]

Hi,
It could being an IR device. Seems like you're in bad neighborhood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...-details.asp?E...

One thing that concerns me is that one review mentioned that the
cameras put out a faint red glow, making them visible at night. *Is
this true of all IR cameras? *I'm also considering putting a wireless
video camera in the glove box, so I'm pretty much guarenteed a decent
picture of the face.

The other thing I can think of is putting in a wireless motion sensor
in my glove box (I already own one, and it's X10 so I can have it turn
on a radio/light etc). *If I can catch the guy in the act, that would
be ideal.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas/thoughts/experience on the
subject that might help me.

Thanks

John

Hi,
It could being an IR device. Seems like you're in bad neighborhood.- Hide quoted text -

Up until a year ago, everything was good, but then these break-ins
started happening -- and I'm guessing it's always the same person.
I'm raising two children at this point and I don't want it turning
into a bad neighbourhood. That's why I want to catch him rather than
just deterring them.

John
Posted to alt.home.repair
LdB LdB is offline

I have a Mintron colour security camera that I use primarily with with
my telescope. It's a normal colour camera with low light capabilities,
not IR. No problem with low light situations, but you do need some
light, as much as the thief needs.

I set the camera up to video hummingbirds at a feeder this summer. I
have an adapter that lets me to use my Canon DSLR lenses on the video
camera. The video is clear enough to count the hummingbirds feathers.

I use a video to USB converter to bring the video signal into a laptop
running a program called Cam Wizard. Cam Wizard records video when
it detects motion on the screen. You can define where on the screen
and how much motion to trigger the recording.

The camera itself will also detect motion and provide a signal to
trigger other equipment like a DSLR camera with a flash or a VCR.

With the equipment I have, an unwelcome visitor would busted, with all
the equipment behind windows out of his reach.

The camera has a small green LED on the back to indicate it is
working. I cover the LED with electrical tape when I use the camera at
night with the telescope.

Good luck trying the catch the troublemaker. Many years ago we had
someone slashing tires in a good neighborhood. It only takes one or
two bad ones to ruin things.

Smile son. Your parents will be so proud when they see this.

LdB

John wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

John wrote:
[...]

I've got one of these ($40.00):

Works swell. It either feeds a TV directly or goes to a video capture board
($17.00) he
http://www.directron.com/tvpcirc.html

This video capture board comes with all the software you need to engage in
continuous recording.

You are correct in that the camera has very dim red lights on it. I've got
mine hooked up in the bedroom (running to a PC in the closet in another
room) and none of the ladies have noticed it yet.

If you're in Texas, be aware that you may use deadly force against a
perpetrator of 'criminal mischief in the nighttime.'

Posted to alt.home.repair

John wrote:
[...]

a camera that can see good at night with good resolution will cost at
least $500.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Please discuss any plans with the local police. They will
know what's legal, and what's most useful for them in court.

On the other hand, if you catch the guy in the act, you can
be very creative how you discourage him (her) from a life of
crime.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 31, 9:14*am, John wrote:
[...]

A bear trap on your seat will awaken you with his screaming, that
would hurt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John wrote:
[...]

Check out one my suppliers: http://www.supercircuits.com/
The company will sell to consumers not just dealers. I've
bought several systems from them and the quality is very
good and the sales reps are very knowledgeable and helpful.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 31, 8:37*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Aug 31, 9:14 am, John wrote:
[...]

Against the law.- Hide quoted text -

Yes burglary is against the law.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Aug 31, 8:37 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Aug 31, 9:14 am, John wrote:
[...]

Yes, and booby-traps are against the law. There are any number of people who
can enter your property without your knowledge or permission.

* Police with a search warrant
* A child who has no criminal capacity
* A firefighter or other emergency responder
* A civil trespasser
* Delivery people, meter readers, letter carriers
* A creditor repossessing property
.... and the list goes on

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 05:57:44 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

On Aug 31, 8:37*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Aug 31, 9:14 am, John wrote:
[...]

How about shooting (and killing) a burglar in your home? If he's
alive, shoot him again to make sure he doesn't come back and sue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Aug 31, 8:37 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Aug 31, 9:14 am, John wrote:
[...]

But none of them should be in the car at night unless they are robbing
him of his belongings in the car or of the car itself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Brandon McCombs wrote:
Yes burglary is against the law.

Yes, and booby-traps are against the law. There are any number of
people who can enter your property without your knowledge or
permission. * Police with a search warrant
* A child who has no criminal capacity
* A firefighter or other emergency responder
* A civil trespasser
* Delivery people, meter readers, letter carriers
* A creditor repossessing property
... and the list goes on

But none of them should be in the car at night unless they are robbing
him of his belongings in the car or of the car itself.

Sigh!

Let me repeat the list to include only those who can legally be in the car
at night without the car owner's knowledge or permission:

* Police with a search warrant
* A child who has no criminal capacity
* A firefighter
* A civil trespasser (trying to get out of the cold)
* A delivery person ("Leave the pizza on the front seat of the green
car...")
* A creditor repossessing property

And you can't "rob" a car, or from a car - you can only "rob" a person. You
can "steal" a car or "steal" from a car. You can also "burglarize" a car.
But you can't "rob" a car (or a dwelling or a lawnmower or any other
non-human thing).