Posted to alt.home.repair

Default White dust corrosion on steel?

Hi,

A few hours ago I posted a question about removing rust from a 1986
Craftsman table saw.

Well, I also got a band saw and a jointer... sorry.

The body of the band saw (I'm guessing it's made of steel, but maybe
something else) is covered with a substance that has has the consistency
of rust except it's completely white. It comes of completely with the
help of a wire brush. What is this stuff?

Thanks again,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 12:07*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

A few hours ago I posted a question about removing rust from a 1986
Craftsman table saw.

Well, I also got a band saw and a jointer... sorry.

The body of the band saw (I'm guessing it's made of steel, but maybe
something else) is covered with a substance that has has the consistency
of rust except it's completely white. It comes of completely with the
help of a wire brush. What is this stuff?

Thanks again,

Aaron

Im trying to remember but I think they may have had some die cast
parts. My father in law had a shop full of old Craftsman power toolsf.
I got a couple of pieces but he sold his band saw and joiner.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

A few hours ago I posted a question about removing rust from a 1986
Craftsman table saw.

Well, I also got a band saw and a jointer... sorry.

The body of the band saw (I'm guessing it's made of steel, but maybe
something else) is covered with a substance that has has the
consistency of rust except it's completely white. It comes of
completely with the help of a wire brush. What is this stuff?

Thanks again,

Aaron

Zinc oxide, maybe, but I wouldn't expect zinc on a band saw except - maybe -
on smallish, cheaply made, cast parts.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 5:25 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Aluminum oxide?

That would be my first guess...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

A few hours ago I posted a question about removing rust from a 1986
Craftsman table saw.

Well, I also got a band saw and a jointer... sorry.

The body of the band saw (I'm guessing it's made of steel, but maybe
something else) is covered with a substance that has has the consistency
of rust except it's completely white. It comes of completely with the
help of a wire brush. What is this stuff?

The most obvious would be the thing is Al instead of steel...the second
obvious question would be "is it (the body, not the corrosion product)
magnetic?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 04:25:17 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

A few hours ago I posted a question about removing rust from a 1986
Craftsman table saw.

Well, I also got a band saw and a jointer... sorry.

The body of the band saw (I'm guessing it's made of steel, but maybe
something else) is covered with a substance that has has the
consistency of rust except it's completely white. It comes of
completely with the help of a wire brush. What is this stuff?

Aluminum oxide?

I agree. The reason aluminum is a decent outdoor material is that it
quickly coats itself with a protective layer of aluminum oxide.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry The Snake Guy wrote:
On Aug 17, 5:25 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Aluminum oxide?

That would be my first guess...

Easy enough to shrink the corral. Will a magnet stick to it (the table top,
not the white powder).