Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default White dust corrosion on steel?

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

A few hours ago I posted a question about removing rust from a 1986
Craftsman table saw.

Well, I also got a band saw and a jointer... sorry.

The body of the band saw (I'm guessing it's made of steel, but maybe
something else) is covered with a substance that has has the consistency
of rust except it's completely white. It comes of completely with the
help of a wire brush. What is this stuff?

The most obvious would be the thing is Al instead of steel...the second
obvious question would be "is it (the body, not the corrosion product)
magnetic?"