Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paving

Just wondering, when I get my driveway paved I have to stay off it for
a few days. When they pave the road I can drive on it as soon as the
roller gets out of the way. Why?
Posted to alt.home.repair

rss1 wrote:
Just wondering, when I get my driveway paved I have to stay off it for
a few days. When they pave the road I can drive on it as soon as the
roller gets out of the way. Why?

For starters the road crew uses heavier stuff and a much heavier roller.
Posted to alt.home.repair

rss1 wrote:
Just wondering, when I get my driveway paved I have to stay off it for
a few days. When they pave the road I can drive on it as soon as the
roller gets out of the way. Why?

Hi
Consumer duty product vs. Heavy commercial/industrial duty?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
rss1 wrote:
Just wondering, when I get my driveway paved I have to stay off it for
a few days. When they pave the road I can drive on it as soon as the
roller gets out of the way. Why?

For starters the road crew uses heavier stuff and a much heavier roller.

Also much thicker both for the base coat and the top layer.

You could drive on yours once it cools.

BUT there is a major difference between driving and all the short wheel
turns that most of us do in a driveway. That is what tears up new asphalt.

Also parking can create divots.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 23:13:40 -0400, LouB wrote:

rss1 wrote:
Just wondering, when I get my driveway paved I have to stay off it for
a few days. When they pave the road I can drive on it as soon as the
roller gets out of the way. Why?

For starters the road crew uses heavier stuff and a much heavier roller.

It is likely the mix design for driveways is considerably different
then for highways. It may have smaller aggregate size and less
inherent strength from the aggregate making it more important for the
asphalt to "set" before being loaded. And as you said, the roller is
not going to be nearly as large and heavy so it will not be as well
compacted, which again makes it more important that the asphalt have
some time to set up.

Patio Paving mo UK diy 17 June 9th 09 08:33 AM
Paving over existing paving robert UK diy 1 March 27th 08 07:01 PM
Block Paving [email protected] UK diy 3 June 20th 07 07:57 PM
Paving Adam-the-Kiwi UK diy 6 October 19th 06 06:18 AM
Paving Titch UK diy 4 March 29th 04 10:26 PM