Posted to alt.home.repair

Default water softner regeneration times

How often does a salt based water softener have to regenerate...and for how
long ? We have a rental home that has 2 adults. Based on the size of the
salt tank...I'd say it's a medium to large capacity softener. I've written
the manufacturer a couple times for a manual..but get no response. It's
about 10-12 years old. Does it have to regenerate every night,...and/or for
how long for each regen period ?

Thanks much,
Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tim wrote:
How often does a salt based water softener have to regenerate...and for how
long ? We have a rental home that has 2 adults. Based on the size of the
salt tank...I'd say it's a medium to large capacity softener. I've written
the manufacturer a couple times for a manual..but get no response. It's
about 10-12 years old. Does it have to regenerate every night,...and/or for
how long for each regen period ?

Mine recycles every 8 days and that works for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Tim" wrote:
How often does a salt based water softener have to regenerate...and for how
long ? We have a rental home that has 2 adults. Based on the size of the
salt tank...I'd say it's a medium to large capacity softener. I've written
the manufacturer a couple times for a manual..but get no response.

Have you tried calling?

It's about 10-12 years old. Does it have to regenerate every night

For two adults, certainly not. Once every four days should be more than
enough. Try setting it to that, wait a week, and see if the water is soft
enough for you. If so, set to once every 7 or 8 days. Keep going, until the
water is too hard -- then set it to regen more often.

,...and/or for how long for each regen period ?

Typically the only other setting available is controlling how much salt it
uses each time it regenerates. You'll need a manual for that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tim" wrote in message
How often does a salt based water softener have to regenerate...and for
how long ? We have a rental home that has 2 adults. Based on the size of
the salt tank...I'd say it's a medium to large capacity softener. I've
written the manufacturer a couple times for a manual..but get no response.
It's about 10-12 years old. Does it have to regenerate every
night,...and/or for how long for each regen period ?

Thanks much,
Tim

Need more information. How hard is the water? What is the actual capacity?
Maybe someone here has a manual and can give better information. If it is
already set up, I'd give it a try and test every day to see if the water
runs hard before adjusting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A correctly sized and properly setup softener for "average" water
conditions on a municipal water system should regenerate every 6 or 7
days for longest resin life.

If there's iron in the water then more frequent regenerations are
preferred and a resin cleaner should be routinely used.

You can't tell the size of the softener by the size of the brine
tank... you CAN tell the softener by the size of the resin tank. A
specific size resin tanks hold a specific volume of resin and that
resin volume is what dictates the hardness removal capacity (size) of
the softener.

Tim wrote:
How often does a salt based water softener have to regenerate...and for how
long ? We have a rental home that has 2 adults. Based on the size of the
salt tank...I'd say it's a medium to large capacity softener. I've written
the manufacturer a couple times for a manual..but get no response. It's
about 10-12 years old. Does it have to regenerate every night,...and/or for
how long for each regen period ?

Thanks much,
Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 9:03*am, "justalurker ." wrote:
A correctly sized and properly setup softener for "average" water
conditions on a municipal water system should regenerate every 6 or 7
days for longest resin life.

If there's iron in the water then more frequent regenerations are
preferred and a resin cleaner should be routinely used.

You can't tell the size of the softener by the size of the brine
tank... you CAN tell the softener by the size of the resin tank. A
specific size resin tanks hold a specific volume of resin and that
resin volume is what dictates the hardness removal capacity (size) of
the softener.

Well that's not all of it. The volume of resin in cubic feet and the
salt dose lbs dictate the capacity.

And all softeners have an adjustable K of capacity because they all
have an adjustable salt dose.

The length of time a regeneration runs for is about 1.5 hrs on average
and some softeners have no ability to adjust that and most consumer
manuals do not have any instructions on how to do it if the control
valve allows it..Better quality valves like the Clack WS-1 do allow
it.

Gary Slusser
Quality Water Associates

Salty Tap Water, Kinetico Water Softner jay Home Repair 2 May 28th 07 05:45 PM
Water Softner Craig Home Ownership 5 October 1st 06 03:20 PM
Water Softner CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert Home Repair 6 December 8th 05 03:19 AM
Aargh Water Softener - Options on regeneration 1_Patriotic_Guy Home Repair 7 March 19th 05 04:28 AM
Water Softener - How to calculate regeneration? 1_Patriotic_Guy Home Repair 1 March 14th 05 10:17 PM