Posted to alt.home.repair
justalurker . justalurker . is offline

Default water softner regeneration times

A correctly sized and properly setup softener for "average" water
conditions on a municipal water system should regenerate every 6 or 7
days for longest resin life.

If there's iron in the water then more frequent regenerations are
preferred and a resin cleaner should be routinely used.

You can't tell the size of the softener by the size of the brine
tank... you CAN tell the softener by the size of the resin tank. A
specific size resin tanks hold a specific volume of resin and that
resin volume is what dictates the hardness removal capacity (size) of
the softener.

Tim wrote:
How often does a salt based water softener have to regenerate...and for how
long ? We have a rental home that has 2 adults. Based on the size of the
salt tank...I'd say it's a medium to large capacity softener. I've written
the manufacturer a couple times for a manual..but get no response. It's
about 10-12 years old. Does it have to regenerate every night,...and/or for
how long for each regen period ?

Thanks much,
Tim