Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Phillips Head Screws On Brake Rotors

The recent thread about impact wrenches got me thinking...

I need to change the rotors on my Honda Oddessy. They have 2 large
phillips head screws countersunk into the rotors which have to be
removed before the rotors will come off.

I don't know if they are the original rotors (70K on the van, I've had
it since 40K with the same rotors) but I'm thinking that with all the
heat generated by braking, they might not be the easiest screws to
remove.

I didn't want to try backing out the screws with a huge phillips head
driver for fear of damaging them, then having to drill them out, etc.

Before I take everything apart (again) does anybody have any thoughts
on the best way to remove the screws, assuming a big screw driver
doesn't work?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 1:45*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
The recent thread about impact wrenches got me thinking...

I need to change the rotors on my Honda Oddessy. They have *2 large
phillips head screws countersunk into the rotors which have to be
removed before the rotors will come off.

I don't know if they are the original rotors (70K on the van, I've had
it since 40K with the same rotors) but I'm thinking that with all the
heat generated by braking, they might not be the easiest screws to
remove.

I didn't want to try backing out the screws with a huge phillips head
driver for fear of damaging them, then having to drill them out, etc.

Before I take everything apart (again) does anybody have any thoughts
on the best way to remove the screws, assuming a big screw driver
doesn't work?

2 words: impact driver
http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000723.php
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
The recent thread about impact wrenches got me thinking...

I need to change the rotors on my Honda Oddessy. They have 2 large
phillips head screws countersunk into the rotors which have to be
removed before the rotors will come off.

I don't know if they are the original rotors (70K on the van, I've had
it since 40K with the same rotors) but I'm thinking that with all the
heat generated by braking, they might not be the easiest screws to
remove.

I didn't want to try backing out the screws with a huge phillips head
driver for fear of damaging them, then having to drill them out, etc.

Before I take everything apart (again) does anybody have any thoughts
on the best way to remove the screws, assuming a big screw driver
doesn't work?

Give 'em a dose of something from the auto parts store that loosens
rusted-shut bolts.

Can't hurt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 11:53:15 -0700 (PDT), Eric in North TX
wrote:

[...]

Good answer!

And a pre-soak of the screws with a penetrating liquid (maybe
overnight).

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
The recent thread about impact wrenches got me thinking...

I need to change the rotors on my Honda Oddessy. They have 2 large
phillips head screws countersunk into the rotors which have to be
removed before the rotors will come off.

I don't know if they are the original rotors (70K on the van, I've had
it since 40K with the same rotors) but I'm thinking that with all the
heat generated by braking, they might not be the easiest screws to
remove.

I didn't want to try backing out the screws with a huge phillips head
driver for fear of damaging them, then having to drill them out, etc.

Before I take everything apart (again) does anybody have any thoughts
on the best way to remove the screws, assuming a big screw driver
doesn't work?

If you don't have an impact driver, still do what HeyBub advises, insert the
screwdriver in the screw and then a sharp tap to the head of the screwdriver
handle with a hammer. This can help to free it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Clot" wrote in message
DerbyDad03 wrote:
The recent thread about impact wrenches got me thinking...

I need to change the rotors on my Honda Oddessy. They have 2 large
phillips head screws countersunk into the rotors which have to be
removed before the rotors will come off.

I don't know if they are the original rotors (70K on the van, I've had
it since 40K with the same rotors) but I'm thinking that with all the
heat generated by braking, they might not be the easiest screws to
remove.

I didn't want to try backing out the screws with a huge phillips head
driver for fear of damaging them, then having to drill them out, etc.

Before I take everything apart (again) does anybody have any thoughts
on the best way to remove the screws, assuming a big screw driver
doesn't work?

If you have a torch handy, heat the area around the screw head then throw
cold water on it. The quick expansion and contraction will loosen the screw.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

wrote:
[...]

What they said. The hand impact, a properly fitting Phillips bit, and
a BFH is the Right Tool For The Job.

Requred to remove stubborn (car) door hinge screws, as well. Nothing
else is likely to work.

Good news is, you probably already have a BFH, and if you don't have
an impact driver, they are not expensive.

good luck

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 2:53*pm, Eric in North TX wrote:
[...]

I'll look into it, but...

From the website...

"although it takes some skill to keep it on the bolt when you hammer
it."

And they seem to be talking about a socket over a bolt, not a bit in a
phillips head screw.

It's hard to tell the size of the screwdriver bolts from the pictures,
but none of them look big enough to fit securely in the large philips
head screws on my rotor.

I'll stop by Sears and see what they look like close up.

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 13:57:23 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

From the website...

"although it takes some skill to keep it on the bolt when you hammer
it."

And they seem to be talking about a socket over a bolt, not a bit in a
phillips head screw.

It's hard to tell the size of the screwdriver bolts from the pictures,
but none of them look big enough to fit securely in the large philips
head screws on my rotor.

I'll stop by Sears and see what they look like close up.

Thanks!

My wrench came from Sears many years ago.

"6 pc. impact driver set lets you free frozen or rusted screws. Each
hammer blow develops 200 ft. lb. of torque. Includes 1/2 in. sq. drive
tool, bit holder, 3/8 in. slotted and Nos. 2, 3 and 4 Phillips bits."

Same as this pic:

http://www.toolnet.co.za/images/47641.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

From the website...
"although it takes some skill to keep it on the bolt when you hammer
it."

And they seem to be talking about a socket over a bolt, not a bit in a
phillips head screw.

It's hard to tell the size of the screwdriver bolts from the pictures,
but none of them look big enough to fit securely in the large philips
head screws on my rotor.

I'll stop by Sears and see what they look like close up.

Thanks!

My wrench came from Sears many years ago.

"6 pc. impact driver set lets you free frozen or rusted screws. Each
hammer blow develops 200 ft. lb. of torque. Includes 1/2 in. sq. drive
tool, bit holder, 3/8 in. slotted and Nos. 2, 3 and 4 Phillips bits."

Same as this pic:

http://www.toolnet.co.za/images/47641.jpg

I have removed them many times and impact(same Sears set)is the way to
go. Often they only need a tap and comes out easy. But then...

GA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 11:53:15 -0700, Eric in North TX wrote:

On Aug 7, 1:45Â*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
The recent thread about impact wrenches got me thinking...

I need to change the rotors on my Honda Oddessy. They have Â*2 large
phillips head screws countersunk into the rotors which have to be
removed before the rotors will come off.

I don't know if they are the original rotors (70K on the van, I've had
it since 40K with the same rotors) but I'm thinking that with all the
heat generated by braking, they might not be the easiest screws to
remove.

I didn't want to try backing out the screws with a huge phillips head
driver for fear of damaging them, then having to drill them out, etc.

Before I take everything apart (again) does anybody have any thoughts
on the best way to remove the screws, assuming a big screw driver
doesn't work?

2 words: impact driver
http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000723.php

Absolutely. Just had to do this on my son's Kia. Took about 5 seconds
to conclude that a normal phillips was completely useless. Then I
remembered that when my FIL died several years ago one thing I inherited
was a hand impact driver.

Murphy's law was not enforced that day so I actually found the darn thing
(having never used it prior to that) and it took three blows on one screw
and only one on the other. Had a hell of a time getting the second screw
separated from the drive head though.

While on the topic, WHAT are the engineers thinking in this application?
Wouldn't a torx, square drive, or just about anything be better suited to
such an application compared to a phillips head?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rick Brandt wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure why they're even required. One would think a simple
indexing pin would suffice.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, that's what I used to use on my Honda 90.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 7:23*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
Rick Brandt wrote:
[...]

Or *nothing* like just about every other car I've done brakes on.

My son's Mitsubishi Gallant not only has nothing holding his rotors
on, but they even provide 2 threaded holes so you can drive bolts into
the rotor and force it off the hub if it gets stuck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Rick Brandt wrote:
[...]

A lot of German cars use the screws. I was told that it was to locate
the rotor more precisely than can be done by the lug studs, FWIW. It's
also helpful on cars that use lug bolts instead of lug studs (BMW, VW)
so you don't have to try to line up the wheel, rotor AND hub at the side
of the road after you've gotten a flat (on the non-drive end of the car,
of course, so it's all flailing around under there.)

But as I said, I don't see why a simple pin pressed into the hub to mate
with a hole in the rotor wouldn't accomplish the same thing...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Now, that's thoughtful. I had a van, the back drums didn't
want to come off. I finally jacked it up, put in reverse,
and used a grinder and drill to take the center part down a
tiny bit.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

My son's Mitsubishi Gallant not only has nothing holding his
rotors
on, but they even provide 2 threaded holes so you can drive
bolts into
the rotor and force it off the hub if it gets stuck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:h5ikmu
:

Now, that's thoughtful. I had a van, the back drums didn't
want to come off. I finally jacked it up, put in reverse,
and used a grinder and drill to take the center part down a
tiny bit.

Had a pickup with that issue. Bud was a pro fleet mechanic and I took it by
his shop. I had already soaked the hub with Break Away with my efforts. He
jacked it up, gave em a couple of good whacks with a hand sledge and they
came right off. I would have feared cracking or distorting them. He says
nope. Never had any issues with them afterwards.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
The recent thread about impact wrenches got me thinking...

I need to change the rotors on my Honda Oddessy. They have 2 large
phillips head screws countersunk into the rotors which have to be
removed before the rotors will come off.

I don't know if they are the original rotors (70K on the van, I've had
it since 40K with the same rotors) but I'm thinking that with all the
heat generated by braking, they might not be the easiest screws to
remove.

I didn't want to try backing out the screws with a huge phillips head
driver for fear of damaging them, then having to drill them out, etc.

Before I take everything apart (again) does anybody have any thoughts
on the best way to remove the screws, assuming a big screw driver
doesn't work?

When I'm in doubt, (ha, always) I use a hammer and the right sized
screwdriver to give the screw a whack or two, helps frac any rust, then soak
in penetrating oil. Coke works also.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

From the website...

"although it takes some skill to keep it on the bolt when you hammer
it."

And they seem to be talking about a socket over a bolt, not a bit in
a phillips head screw.

It's hard to tell the size of the screwdriver bolts from the
pictures, but none of them look big enough to fit securely in the
large philips head screws on my rotor.

I'll stop by Sears and see what they look like close up.

Thanks!

My wrench came from Sears many years ago.

"6 pc. impact driver set lets you free frozen or rusted screws. Each
hammer blow develops 200 ft. lb. of torque. Includes 1/2 in. sq. drive
tool, bit holder, 3/8 in. slotted and Nos. 2, 3 and 4 Phillips bits."

Same as this pic:

http://www.toolnet.co.za/images/47641.jpg

Mine is 40 years old. Indispensable when you need it. I bought it for working on
my motorcycle. It eliminated stripped philip heads.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

From the website...

[...]

I could add - the trick of it is that it applies huge force inward on the bit at
the same time as it turns hard, thus making sure the bit doesn't slip out of the
head, and unloading the screw threads at the same time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I got something like that, many years ago. Never had any
luck with it. Might end up buying another one, and see if my
technique has improved.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob F" wrote in message

My wrench came from Sears many years ago.

"6 pc. impact driver set lets you free frozen or rusted
screws. Each
hammer blow develops 200 ft. lb. of torque. Includes 1/2
in. sq. drive
tool, bit holder, 3/8 in. slotted and Nos. 2, 3 and 4
Phillips bits."

Same as this pic:

http://www.toolnet.co.za/images/47641.jpg

Mine is 40 years old. Indispensable when you need it. I
bought it for working on
my motorcycle. It eliminated stripped philip heads.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
The recent thread about impact wrenches got me thinking...

I need to change the rotors on my Honda Oddessy. They have 2 large
phillips head screws countersunk into the rotors which have to be
removed before the rotors will come off.

I don't know if they are the original rotors (70K on the van, I've had
it since 40K with the same rotors) but I'm thinking that with all the
heat generated by braking, they might not be the easiest screws to
remove.

I didn't want to try backing out the screws with a huge phillips head
driver for fear of damaging them, then having to drill them out, etc.

Before I take everything apart (again) does anybody have any thoughts
on the best way to remove the screws, assuming a big screw driver
doesn't work?

I second the suggestion for the impact driver in the first reply. That
is if they don't come out easy. You might be surprised. You can also
'86 those screws after you get them out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 09:56:13 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Yes, they are ONLY there to hold the rotors/drums on while moving down
the assembly line and serve no real purpose when the vehicle is in
operation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 2:45*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
The recent thread about impact wrenches got me thinking...

I need to change the rotors on my Honda Oddessy. They have *2 large
phillips head screws countersunk into the rotors which have to be
removed before the rotors will come off.

I don't know if they are the original rotors (70K on the van, I've had
it since 40K with the same rotors) but I'm thinking that with all the
heat generated by braking, they might not be the easiest screws to
remove.

I didn't want to try backing out the screws with a huge phillips head
driver for fear of damaging them, then having to drill them out, etc.

Before I take everything apart (again) does anybody have any thoughts
on the best way to remove the screws, assuming a big screw driver
doesn't work?

Update:

I went to a nearby franchise of Cole Muffler who I have used many,
many times in the past. I know the manager - his kids play in a sports
leauge that I help run.

He charged me $24 more to install 4 rotors than I could have bought
them for at AutoZone. That's $6 per wheel...and that was after he knew
that I had already changed the pads so he knew he wasn't getting that
business.

It's not worth getting dirty for $24!
Posted to alt.home.repair

brudot had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...rs-387731-.htm
:

I just changed rotors on my daughter's 2004 Honda Oddessy today. I used a
hand held impact driver to remove the all but two screws. Two would not
loosen and the heads were starting to strip and the driver bit was
distorting. I applied heat to the heads until cherry red (happened
quickly with welding torch) and they came out with little difficulty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

brudot wrote:

I appologize if this is a duplicate post, I'm new.

You're also SPAMMING this group SPAM from the sucko company. They do not
run this forum, they leach off of the content, put it on their webpage, and
SPAM their business name on posts from people too naive to know the
difference.

Many people in this group explicitly ****can anything with the sucko company
on it.

My advice is for you to figure out what usenet is, get a newsreader (even
Outlook Express), and become part of the community. Even posting from
GoogleGroups is a hundred times better than helping the sucko company SPAM
this group.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 14:28:17 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

brudot wrote:

I appologize if this is a duplicate post, I'm new.

You're also SPAMMING this group SPAM from the sucko company. They do not
run this forum, they leach off of the content, put it on their webpage, and
SPAM their business name on posts from people too naive to know the
difference.

If they don't know the difference, I don't think he can be spamming,
which requires intention. I think you're awfully hard on this guy,
whose post was quite interesting.

(I would have used a propane torch and it wouldn't have gotten so hot
so fast. OTOH, I don't have a welding torch. )

The only advertising was their name in the url, one line. I know
plenty of people with a longer sig than that.

And loads of newsgroups are quoted on the web. This one is in real
time it seems, at least some of the time. So they can, afaik, really
participate.

To Brudot, it is a lot easier and better in many ways (no advertising,
full screen text, more control, much much easier to refer to prior
posts, ability to cross post to mulitple ngs when appropriate) to read
newsgroups with a newsreader, like Agent of Thunderbird, etc. and
there are afaict NO advantages to reading on the web. You should
learn about it. But afaic, you're welcome to read the way you are.

Remove nopsam to write me.