Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default OT - Phillips Head Screws On Brake Rotors

Bob F wrote:
Oren wrote:
On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 13:57:23 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Aug 7, 2:53 pm, Eric in North TX wrote:
On Aug 7, 1:45 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The recent thread about impact wrenches got me thinking...

I need to change the rotors on my Honda Oddessy. They have 2 large
phillips head screws countersunk into the rotors which have to be
removed before the rotors will come off.

I don't know if they are the original rotors (70K on the van, I've
had it since 40K with the same rotors) but I'm thinking that with
all the heat generated by braking, they might not be the easiest
screws to remove.

I didn't want to try backing out the screws with a huge phillips
head driver for fear of damaging them, then having to drill them
out, etc.

Before I take everything apart (again) does anybody have any
thoughts on the best way to remove the screws, assuming a big
screw driver doesn't work?

2 words: impact
driverhttp://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000723.php

I'll look into it, but...

From the website...

"although it takes some skill to keep it on the bolt when you hammer
it."

And they seem to be talking about a socket over a bolt, not a bit in
a phillips head screw.

It's hard to tell the size of the screwdriver bolts from the
pictures, but none of them look big enough to fit securely in the
large philips head screws on my rotor.

I'll stop by Sears and see what they look like close up.

Thanks!

My wrench came from Sears many years ago.

"6 pc. impact driver set lets you free frozen or rusted screws. Each
hammer blow develops 200 ft. lb. of torque. Includes 1/2 in. sq.
drive tool, bit holder, 3/8 in. slotted and Nos. 2, 3 and 4 Phillips
bits." Same as this pic:

http://www.toolnet.co.za/images/47641.jpg

Mine is 40 years old. Indispensable when you need it. I bought it for
working on my motorcycle. It eliminated stripped philip heads.

I could add - the trick of it is that it applies huge force inward on the bit at
the same time as it turns hard, thus making sure the bit doesn't slip out of the
head, and unloading the screw threads at the same time.