Posted to alt.home.repair

Default uneven cutting - Craftsman lawn tractor

Have 42" Craftsman lawn tractor and am having difficulty getting a even
cut. I level the deck with the adjustment bolts and the bottom of the
deck measures the same on both sides. (attempted to measure the blade
height on each side but difficult to get a accurate measurement) Still
getting a uneven cut - appears the extreme left side of the cut is 1/4
inch or so lower. Suggestions on how to get a accurate adjustment?
Thanks,

-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 5:59�pm, (hillclimber)
wrote:
Have 42" Craftsman lawn tractor and am having difficulty getting a even
cut. �I level the deck with the adjustment bolts and the bottom of the
deck measures the same on both sides. �(attempted to measure the blade
height on each side but difficult to get a accurate measurement) �Still
getting a uneven cut - appears the extreme left side of the cut is 1/4
inch or so lower. �Suggestions on how to get a accurate adjustment?
Thanks,

Measuring the deck height dosn't matter if a spacer is missing on one
of the spindles, or put back on incorrectly. Both blades have to have
the same height from the ground.

Measure the distance from the underside of the deck (close to the
spindle) to the blade. Make sure you are measuring from the same deck
height because some decks have areas pressed intot hem that will be a
different height. Or, if you can rotate one blade so that it is close
to touching the other blade, both should be the same. If not,
disassemble and find the problem. You may have to take the blades off
to figure it out.

Good luck,

Hank

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 4:59*pm, (hillclimber)
wrote:
Have 42" Craftsman lawn tractor and am having difficulty getting a even
cut. *I level the deck with the adjustment bolts and the bottom of the
deck measures the same on both sides. *(attempted to measure the blade
height on each side but difficult to get a accurate measurement) *Still
getting a uneven cut - appears the extreme left side of the cut is 1/4
inch or so lower. *Suggestions on how to get a accurate adjustment?
Thanks,

-------------------------------------

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

The way I set mine is; I make a standard out of a small piece of 2X4
cut to the height I desire. I park on concrete & put it under the
various blades then, adjust the deck so that the end fo the blade just
touches the block of wood. i then adjust the wheels on the deck to
3/4" from the ground. Btw have you checked your tires? A low tire can
cause uneven cutting too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"hillclimber" wrote in message
m...

Have 42" Craftsman lawn tractor and am having difficulty getting a even
cut. I level the deck with the adjustment bolts and the bottom of the
deck measures the same on both sides. (attempted to measure the blade
height on each side but difficult to get a accurate measurement) Still
getting a uneven cut - appears the extreme left side of the cut is 1/4
inch or so lower. Suggestions on how to get a accurate adjustment?
Thanks,

-------------------------------------

Is your lawn pretty flat ??? Mine isn't ...Never could get a good cut with a
tractor which is why I gave up and cut it with a push mower now..Plus I got
tired of friggin with it , belts , batteries , ect...It was always
something...LOL...After they get a few years old THEY SUCK....Unless you get
one of the big dollar ones....Perhaps one of the arms that hold the deck is
bent ??? Been there and done that too...LOL...Oh , and LOSE the sucko
company crap.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
On Aug 5, 4:59 pm, (hillclimber)
wrote:
Have 42" Craftsman lawn tractor and am having difficulty getting a even
cut. I level the deck with the adjustment bolts and the bottom of the
deck measures the same on both sides. (attempted to measure the blade
height on each side but difficult to get a accurate measurement) Still
getting a uneven cut - appears the extreme left side of the cut is 1/4
inch or so lower. Suggestions on how to get a accurate adjustment?
Thanks,

The way I set mine is; I make a standard out of a small piece of 2X4
cut to the height I desire. I park on concrete & put it under the
various blades then, adjust the deck so that the end fo the blade just
touches the block of wood. i then adjust the wheels on the deck to
3/4" from the ground. Btw have you checked your tires? A low tire can
cause uneven cutting too.

The Craftsman manual when addressing cutting problems says you should make
sure all tires have the correct air pressure. Probably wouldn't notice a
difference when measuring but when you add your weight to the tractor it
would probably affect the cutting height on the low tire side.