Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G Tom G is offline

Default uneven cutting - Craftsman lawn tractor

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
On Aug 5, 4:59 pm, (hillclimber)
wrote:
Have 42" Craftsman lawn tractor and am having difficulty getting a even
cut. I level the deck with the adjustment bolts and the bottom of the
deck measures the same on both sides. (attempted to measure the blade
height on each side but difficult to get a accurate measurement) Still
getting a uneven cut - appears the extreme left side of the cut is 1/4
inch or so lower. Suggestions on how to get a accurate adjustment?
Thanks,

The way I set mine is; I make a standard out of a small piece of 2X4
cut to the height I desire. I park on concrete & put it under the
various blades then, adjust the deck so that the end fo the blade just
touches the block of wood. i then adjust the wheels on the deck to
3/4" from the ground. Btw have you checked your tires? A low tire can
cause uneven cutting too.

The Craftsman manual when addressing cutting problems says you should make
sure all tires have the correct air pressure. Probably wouldn't notice a
difference when measuring but when you add your weight to the tractor it
would probably affect the cutting height on the low tire side.