Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Under pine tree leak in sprinkler system

-------------------------------------
I had a leak 18" under a pine tree roots. I found and repaired the leak,
but now I can not stop a dripping leak in one of the repaired joints.

I am using 3/4 tubeing and 3/4 connecters and hose clamps. I used a heat
gun to get the connectors into the tubing and all is OK until I install
the hose clamps and theen the dipping leak starts. If I tighten one clamp,
the other starts to leak so I go back an forth hoping to tighten just
enough to stop the leak.
At this point, the leak is 3 drips per minute.

Should I use plumber's tape around the connectors? Help, this is killing
my back working 18" under the tree roots.

Thanks,

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 3, 11:47*am, (golfere) wrote:
-------------------------------------
I had a leak 18" under a pine tree roots. I found and repaired the leak,
but now I can not stop a dripping leak in one of the repaired joints.

I am using 3/4 tubeing and 3/4 connecters and hose clamps. I used a heat
gun to get the connectors into the tubing and all is OK until I install
the hose clamps and theen the dipping leak starts. If I tighten one clamp,
the other starts to leak so I go back an forth hoping to tighten just
enough to stop the leak.
At this point, the leak is 3 drips per minute.

Should I use plumber's tape around the connectors? Help, this is killing
my back working 18" under the tree roots.

Thanks,

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

Have you considered plumbing around the tree? It might be less
aggravation in the long run.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 3, 12:47*pm, (golfere) wrote:
-------------------------------------
I had a leak 18" under a pine tree roots. I found and repaired the leak,
but now I can not stop a dripping leak in one of the repaired joints.

I am using 3/4 tubeing and 3/4 connecters and hose clamps. I used a heat
gun to get the connectors into the tubing and all is OK until I install
the hose clamps and theen the dipping leak starts. If I tighten one clamp,
the other starts to leak so I go back an forth hoping to tighten just
enough to stop the leak.
At this point, the leak is 3 drips per minute.

Should I use plumber's tape around the connectors? Help, this is killing
my back working 18" under the tree roots.

Thanks,

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

I dont understand about using the heat gun. Is this something you are
suppose to do with tat kind of pipe.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
On Aug 3, 12:47 pm, (golfere) wrote:

-------------------------------------
I had a leak 18" under a pine tree roots. I found and repaired the leak,
but now I can not stop a dripping leak in one of the repaired joints.

I am using 3/4 tubeing and 3/4 connecters and hose clamps. I used a heat
gun to get the connectors into the tubing and all is OK until I install
the hose clamps and theen the dipping leak starts. If I tighten one clamp,
the other starts to leak so I go back an forth hoping to tighten just
enough to stop the leak.
At this point, the leak is 3 drips per minute.

Should I use plumber's tape around the connectors? Help, this is killing
my back working 18" under the tree roots.

Thanks,

-----------------
widsom of the old: in cases like this best to rip it all out and start
fresh. ---- replace a bigger section so that you aren't
working/fighting the roots...

#2 - put tape on the connectors so that the hose and hose clamps have
something sort of soft to 'bite into.

paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

golfere wrote:

-------------------------------------
I had a leak 18" under a pine tree roots. I found and repaired the leak,
but now I can not stop a dripping leak in one of the repaired joints.

I am using 3/4 tubeing and 3/4 connecters and hose clamps. I used a heat
gun to get the connectors into the tubing and all is OK until I install
the hose clamps and theen the dipping leak starts. If I tighten one clamp,
the other starts to leak so I go back an forth hoping to tighten just
enough to stop the leak.
At this point, the leak is 3 drips per minute.

Should I use plumber's tape around the connectors? Help, this is killing
my back working 18" under the tree roots.

Thanks,

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

Hi,
Heat gun? Use water or vaseline to push on the tubing.
Also while at it I'd reroute it to more accessible spot.
I had a leak under a concrete flower bed edge. I just
rerouted it using same method as you tried. Make sure you get
high quality clamp(no China made crap) and no heat gun please.
Posted to alt.home.repair

golfere wrote:
-------------------------------------
I had a leak 18" under a pine tree roots. I found and repaired the
leak, but now I can not stop a dripping leak in one of the repaired
joints.

I am using 3/4 tubeing and 3/4 connecters and hose clamps. I used a
heat gun to get the connectors into the tubing and all is OK until I
install the hose clamps and theen the dipping leak starts. If I
tighten one clamp, the other starts to leak so I go back an forth
hoping to tighten just enough to stop the leak.
At this point, the leak is 3 drips per minute.

Should I use plumber's tape around the connectors? Help, this is
killing my back working 18" under the tree roots.

Is this on a section that only supplies one "zone"? IF so, as long as it doesn't
get worse, who cares about 3 drops/ minute.

It might help more if we knew what kind of "tubing" and "connectors" you are
talking about.

What on earth did you do with a heat gun? If this is PVC, it could be seriously
degraded and misshaped by heat.

PVC is usually attached with glue, not clamps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"golfere" wrote in message

-------------------------------------
I had a leak 18" under a pine tree roots. I found and repaired the leak,
but now I can not stop a dripping leak in one of the repaired joints.

I am using 3/4 tubeing and 3/4 connecters and hose clamps. I used a heat
gun to get the connectors into the tubing and all is OK until I install
the hose clamps and theen the dipping leak starts. If I tighten one clamp,
the other starts to leak so I go back an forth hoping to tighten just
enough to stop the leak.
At this point, the leak is 3 drips per minute.

Should I use plumber's tape around the connectors? Help, this is killing
my back working 18" under the tree roots.

Thanks,

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

I too, had an old system with that I repaired with connectors and clamps.
The old pipe (not polyethylene) loses its flexibility and I too needed a
heat gun to facilitate inserting the connectors. I also filed down the
ridges on the connectors to facilitate the job. I would consider a leak of
3 drops per minute a successful repair. The water loss will not be
significant and no damage will result from such a leak from a buried pipe.

SJF

Posted to alt.home.repair

But !!! it shouldn't leek. But But the pine will be happy !!!!
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 3, 2:00*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
golfere wrote:

-------------------------------------
[...]

Using a heat gun or torch is a widely used technique with poly
irrigation pipe. I've done it many times over the years and seen pros
do it too. All you're doing is warming up the plastic enough so that
it becomes more flexible and will easily slip over the barb fittings.
Never had a problem with it causing a leak.

If the leak amounts to 3 drips a minute and is in a line going to a
zone, as opposed to being a supply line that is always pressurized,
the easiest option is forget about it. If you're watering for an hour
on a zone with four 1.0 GPM heads, you're putting down 240 gallons of
water and maybe a cup of water is coming out of the leak.
Insignificant.

Pine Tree Down John Gbur Woodturning 4 March 11th 08 11:28 PM
Sprinkler system underground leak help Dave FL Home Repair 28 November 7th 07 09:21 PM
How much for a pine tree? Terry Home Repair 17 July 26th 07 01:37 AM
Installing sprinkler to an existing sprinkler system. MOEE Home Ownership 1 September 14th 06 09:53 PM
how do i detect a leak in the sprinkler system? Roy4tran Home Repair 4 May 27th 04 06:29 AM