Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Damaged Dining Room Table finish

Need help. Dumb me put a basket of oven warm bread on our dining room
table without a hot pad. When I removed it after dinner wife was quick
to point out I damaged her table. There was a white mark where basket
had been. I used some liquid gold and the whiteness is gone but there
is still a clear area where it was. Any ideas outisde of refinishing
the whole table to fix it? I assume it might be damage to the varnish
finish?

Thanks

email response not expected but to respond remove .uk at end
TIA
Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 23:40:40 -0400, Hank
wrote:

Need help. Dumb me put a basket of oven warm bread on our dining room
table without a hot pad. When I removed it after dinner wife was quick
to point out I damaged her table. There was a white mark where basket
had been. I used some liquid gold and the whiteness is gone but there
is still a clear area where it was. Any ideas outisde of refinishing
the whole table to fix it? I assume it might be damage to the varnish
finish?

Thanks

email response not expected but to respond remove .uk at end
TIA
Hank

Rub a small dab of mayonaise into the white mark with a soft cloth. If
that don't work you've got a serious finishing job in your future.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Need help. Dumb me put a basket of oven warm bread on our dining room
table without a hot pad. When I removed it after dinner wife was quick
to point out I damaged her table. There was a white mark where basket
had been. I used some liquid gold and the whiteness is gone but there
is still a clear area where it was. Any ideas outside of refinishing
the whole table to fix it? I assume it might be damage to the varnish
finish?

Thanks

email response not expected but to respond remove .uk at end
TIA
Hank

Rub a small dab of mayonnaise into the white mark with a soft cloth. If
that don't work you've got a serious finishing job in your future.

Can't answer I'm not a good wood refinisher! And would welcome similar
advice.
Because we have a wood dining table with an impaired finish.
I think what happened was that some sort of spray wax (Possibly
'Pledge'?) which softened the finish was used.
At one point a table cover even stuck slightly to the top and has left
a slight pattern in what was originally a shiny finish.
So; whatever solution is followed it would be great if the information
could be posted here.
Regards.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 10:40*pm, Hank wrote:
Need help. Dumb me put a basket of oven warm bread on our dining room
table without a hot pad. When I removed it after dinner wife was quick
to point out I damaged her table. There was a white mark where basket
had been. I used some liquid gold and the whiteness is gone but there
is still a clear area where it was. Any ideas outisde of refinishing
the whole table to fix it? I assume it might be damage to the varnish
finish?

Thanks

email response not expected but to respond remove .uk at end
TIA
Hank

Let it rest a few weeks before your experiments, moisture got into it.