Posted to alt.home.repair
stan stan is offline

Default Damaged Dining Room Table finish

On Aug 3, 9:03*am, Phisherman wrote:
On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 23:40:40 -0400, Hank
wrote:

Need help. Dumb me put a basket of oven warm bread on our dining room
table without a hot pad. When I removed it after dinner wife was quick
to point out I damaged her table. There was a white mark where basket
had been. I used some liquid gold and the whiteness is gone but there
is still a clear area where it was. Any ideas outside of refinishing
the whole table to fix it? I assume it might be damage to the varnish
finish?

Thanks

email response not expected but to respond remove .uk at end
TIA
Hank

Rub a small dab of mayonnaise into the white mark with a soft cloth. If
that don't work you've got a serious finishing job in your future.

Can't answer I'm not a good wood refinisher! And would welcome similar
advice.
Because we have a wood dining table with an impaired finish.
I think what happened was that some sort of spray wax (Possibly
'Pledge'?) which softened the finish was used.
At one point a table cover even stuck slightly to the top and has left
a slight pattern in what was originally a shiny finish.
So; whatever solution is followed it would be great if the information
could be posted here.
Regards.