Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Polish Plexiglass Edge

I am installing some plexiglss shelves cut for 5/16 thick plexiglass
and I want to polish the edges. Is this a DIY task. I would like to
bring the edges to the same clarity as the face of the glass.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
I am installing some plexiglss shelves cut for 5/16 thick plexiglass
and I want to polish the edges. Is this a DIY task. I would like to
bring the edges to the same clarity as the face of the glass.

Jimmie

Start out wet sanding them slowly going to 1000 or finer grit. If you
don't want rounded edges use a sanding block. Next put a cloth
polishing pad on the grinder and buff it with polishing compound. Go
easy, don't be in a rush and use too much pressure. (Here it will be
difficult to keep the edges flat.) I forget what color polishing
compound to use but it's listed on the package what compound for what
kind of material you are polishing. Come to think of it you may be able
to sand the edges with random orbit sander to save a lot of time.

Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
I am installing some plexiglss shelves cut for 5/16 thick plexiglass
and I want to polish the edges. Is this a DIY task. I would like to
bring the edges to the same clarity as the face of the glass.

Jimmie

The guys at the plastic supplier use a propane torch
to gently heat the edges and they turn crystal clear
and smooth out. Try it on a piece of scrap first.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 26, 12:29*am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
I am installing some plexiglss shelves cut for 5/16 thick plexiglass
and I want to polish the edges. Is this a DIY task. I would like to
bring the edges to the same clarity as the face of the glass.

Jimmie

The guys at the plastic supplier use a propane torch
to gently heat the edges and they turn crystal clear
and smooth out. Try it on a piece of scrap first.

TDD

That works pretty good, I polished it down using succesively smaller
grits until I got down to 400 then hit it with the torch.. So far I
only done it on a piece of scrap.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
I am installing some plexiglss shelves cut for 5/16 thick plexiglass
and I want to polish the edges. Is this a DIY task. I would like to
bring the edges to the same clarity as the face of the glass.
Jimmie

The guys at the plastic supplier use a propane torch
to gently heat the edges and they turn crystal clear
and smooth out. Try it on a piece of scrap first.

TDD

That works pretty good, I polished it down using succesively smaller
grits until I got down to 400 then hit it with the torch.. So far I
only done it on a piece of scrap.

Jimmie

It works for me, I messed up a lot of scrap before I
got the hang of it. Of course, peel the paper away
from the edge several inches. *snicker*

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
I am installing some plexiglss shelves cut for 5/16 thick plexiglass
and I want to polish the edges. Is this a DIY task. I would like to
bring the edges to the same clarity as the face of the glass.
Jimmie
The guys at the plastic supplier use a propane torch
to gently heat the edges and they turn crystal clear
and smooth out. Try it on a piece of scrap first.

TDD

That works pretty good, I polished it down using succesively smaller
grits until I got down to 400 then hit it with the torch.. So far I
only done it on a piece of scrap.

Jimmie

It works for me, I messed up a lot of scrap before I
got the hang of it. Of course, peel the paper away
from the edge several inches. *snicker*

TDD- Hide quoted text -

Yeah I can see this is going to take a little practice. I keep getting
a lot of little spots that dont do right, blisters and pinholes. I
found a site that reccomends using MAPP gas. I may try that.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

It's kind of like spray painting, you have to keep
a consistent speed and distance from the work piece
with the flame. You'll get the hang of it. Good luck!

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

Yeah looks like I got it. The Mapp gas does seem to make it a little
easier.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 18:09:19 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE
wrote:

I am installing some plexiglss shelves cut for 5/16 thick plexiglass
and I want to polish the edges. Is this a DIY task. I would like to
bring the edges to the same clarity as the face of the glass.

Jimmie

Sand with increasingly finer grit sandpapers. Use good lighting and
view from all angles to remove scratches. End up using 400 grit
sandpaper. Then carefully buff, being careful not to melt the
plastic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am installing some plexiglss shelves cut for 5/16 thick plexiglass
and I want to polish the edges. Is this a DIY task. I would like to
bring the edges to the same clarity as the face of the glass.

Jimmie

Sand with increasingly finer grit sandpapers. Use good lighting and
view from all angles to remove scratches. End up using 400 grit
sandpaper. Then carefully buff, being careful not to melt the
plastic.

I have been very successful CAREFULLY using a propane torch on the edge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
I am installing some plexiglss shelves cut for 5/16 thick plexiglass
and I want to polish the edges. Is this a DIY task. I would like to
bring the edges to the same clarity as the face of the glass.

Jimmie

Crocus cloth (if it is still available) is a very very fine type of
sandpaper. This is what I used to polish the cut edges of plexi.

EJ in NJ