Posted to alt.home.repair

Default light in a closet, attic, etc

Hi,

What are some of the good new ideas about lighting closets (not walk-
in) and areas like the "triangular" side of finished attic, or a crawl
space? These are places where you do not want (or are not allowed to)
use an exposed light bulb. And why would you want to? It's big, it's
fragile, sometimes hot, etc. So is there something like a plug-in LED
light with a motion sensor? (I do have outlets in these places). Or
an easy push to turn on light that's pretty bright and doesn't get
hot. Anyway, what are the new cool ideas to address lighting in these
areas?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

There is a little LED device that has a motion sensor built-in powered by
two AA batteries, about 4 inches long. I got it at Costco last year. I
didn't see it at Costco recently but you could probably find it somewhere
like Amazon.com. I use a couple of them to give some light in the shed in
the back yard where there is no electric hookup, and it lights up just well
enough so I don't stumble into the pick-axe and impale myself while entering
the shed (but it's not super bright). Works really well for what I needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 13, 12:46*pm, "scorpionleather" wrote:
There is a little LED device that has a motion sensor built-in powered by
two AA batteries, about 4 inches long. *I got it at Costco last year. *I
didn't see it at Costco recently but you could probably find it somewhere
like Amazon.com. *I use a couple of them to give some light in the shed in
the back yard where there is no electric hookup, and it lights up just well
enough so I don't stumble into the pick-axe and impale myself while entering
the shed (but it's not super bright). *Works really well for what I needed.

Thanks for your response.

I just wanted to add that I'm definitely looking for something that
does not require batteries.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

What are some of the good new ideas about lighting closets (not walk-
in) and areas like the "triangular" side of finished attic, or a crawl
space? These are places where you do not want (or are not allowed to)
use an exposed light bulb. And why would you want to? It's big, it's
fragile, sometimes hot, etc. So is there something like a plug-in LED
light with a motion sensor? (I do have outlets in these places). Or
an easy push to turn on light that's pretty bright and doesn't get
hot. Anyway, what are the new cool ideas to address lighting in these
areas?

DAGS on LED light fixtures (but bring your checkbook)...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 13, 12:38*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
or a crawl space?

If you have an accessible plug in the crawl space, get one of those
clamp on lites with the metal shield around the bulb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

chrisjpegasus had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...tc-383677-.htm
:

Aaron Fude wrote:

Hi,

What are some of the good new ideas about lighting closets (not walk-
in) and areas like the "triangular" side of finished attic,
or a crawl
space? These are places where you do not want (or are not allowed to)
use an exposed light bulb. And why would you want to? It's big, it's
fragile, sometimes hot, etc. So is there something like a plug-in LED
light with a motion sensor? (I do have outlets in these places). Or
an easy push to turn on light that's pretty bright and doesn't get
hot. Anyway, what are the new cool ideas to address lighting in these
areas?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

-------------------------------------

One way that we have lit closets is to use microfluorescent fixtures (T4
or T5) around a door frame that is connected to a door jamb light switch.
When the door opens, the door jamb light switch turns on the
microfluorescent fixtures around the door frame. With this lighting
solution there are no exposed bulbs, the lights turn on and off
automatically with the opening and closing of the door, minimal heat,
energy-efficient, and the microfluorescent fixtures turn on instantly and
are very low-profile. In addition, the microfluorescent fixtures are
plug-in or hardwire and linkable. My family has used this solution for
our closets and it provides a huge amount of usable light.

Good luck!

Chris Johnson
Pegasus Associates Lighting
www.PegasusAssociates.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:00:25 -0700 (PDT), Aaron Fude
wrote:

I just wanted to add that I'm definitely looking for something that
does not require batteries.

For seldom used areas, keep a crank-up LED flashlight. Very green.

--
Regards,
Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude writes:
Hi,

What are some of the good new ideas about lighting closets (not walk-
in) and areas like the "triangular" side of finished attic, or a crawl
space? These are places where you do not want (or are not allowed to)
use an exposed light bulb. And why would you want to? It's big, it's
fragile, sometimes hot, etc. So is there something like a plug-in LED
light with a motion sensor? (I do have outlets in these places). Or
an easy push to turn on light that's pretty bright and doesn't get
hot. Anyway, what are the new cool ideas to address lighting in these
areas?

I do something quite low tech.
I use 36" low profile florescent fixtures which I mount just above the
inside top piece of door trim. For control, I hardwire in the lights to a switch outside the closet door.

The light casts a broad, bright even light over the entire closet
interior and the source is almost completely hidden since it's depth
is not much more than the depth of the door trim plus it is overhead
where nobody looks. The overall effect is great.