Posted to alt.home.repair
blueman blueman is offline

Default light in a closet, attic, etc

Aaron Fude writes:
Hi,

What are some of the good new ideas about lighting closets (not walk-
in) and areas like the "triangular" side of finished attic, or a crawl
space? These are places where you do not want (or are not allowed to)
use an exposed light bulb. And why would you want to? It's big, it's
fragile, sometimes hot, etc. So is there something like a plug-in LED
light with a motion sensor? (I do have outlets in these places). Or
an easy push to turn on light that's pretty bright and doesn't get
hot. Anyway, what are the new cool ideas to address lighting in these
areas?

I do something quite low tech.
I use 36" low profile florescent fixtures which I mount just above the
inside top piece of door trim. For control, I hardwire in the lights to a switch outside the closet door.

The light casts a broad, bright even light over the entire closet
interior and the source is almost completely hidden since it's depth
is not much more than the depth of the door trim plus it is overhead
where nobody looks. The overall effect is great.