Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Code for a Light inside Walkin Closet

I have a walkin closet that is approx. 10ft by 4ft and am adding a
light to it. When you walk in the closet you make an imediate left. On
the right is the shelving and on the left is a wall running down the
10ft. I am adding the light in the middle of the closet not above the
door. I know the code is 12" away from the shelves for incandecent and
6" away for fluorescent. My question is how far from the wall on the
left do I have to be?

Thanks,

Scott

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:

In article .com, wrote:

I have a walkin closet that is approx. 10ft by 4ft and am adding a
light to it. When you walk in the closet you make an imediate left. On
the right is the shelving and on the left is a wall running down the
10ft. I am adding the light in the middle of the closet not above the
door. I know the code is 12" away from the shelves for incandecent and
6" away for fluorescent.

Actually, the Code defines closet "storage space" as being 12" out from the
walls, or the width of the shelves, whichever is *greater* [that's more than 6
feet from the floor; below 6 feet, it's 24"] -- and requires the fixture to be
12" or 6" outside that space, depending on whether it's incandescent or
fluorescent.

[Note that this is *not* a complete definition of storage space. Consult the
Code, Article 410.8, for the full definition.]

Remarkably complicated article for a simple closet. Your description may
be clearer than the code.

My question is how far from the wall on the
left do I have to be?

6" outside the storage space envelope for fluorescent, or 12" for
incandescent. Assuming there are no shelves on that wall, that means 18" or
24" from the wall.

Incandescent fixtures have to be totally enclosed. [The space above the
door is less restricted, which is useful for small closets; but this
closet isn't exactly small.]

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

Incandescent fixtures have to be totally enclosed. [The space above the
door is less restricted, which is useful for small closets; but this
closet isn't exactly small.]

So is a ceramic socket with a twisty flourescent bulb in it
an incadescant fixture, or a flourescent one?

And does code govern low-voltage flexible electroluminescent
tape like this stuff

http://www.beingseen.com/flatlite.html

at all?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Goedjn wrote:
Incandescent fixtures have to be totally enclosed. [The space above the
door is less restricted, which is useful for small closets; but this
closet isn't exactly small.]

So is a ceramic socket with a twisty flourescent bulb in it
an incadescant fixture, or a flourescent one?

Incandescent. The compact flourescent can be changed to incandescent at
any time.

And does code govern low-voltage flexible electroluminescent
tape like this stuff

http://www.beingseen.com/flatlite.html

at all?

If you have a plug-in power supply that is covered by UL. If hardwired
it probably falls under NEC 725 - remote control and limited power. NEC
725 also covers doorbells and furnace thermostats.

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

When in doubt ask the inspector/building department.

It's *their* opinion that matters!

RickR

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a walkin closet that is approx. 10ft by 4ft and am adding a
light to it. When you walk in the closet you make an imediate left. On
the right is the shelving and on the left is a wall running down the
10ft. I am adding the light in the middle of the closet not above the
door. I know the code is 12" away from the shelves for incandecent and
6" away for fluorescent. My question is how far from the wall on the
left do I have to be?

Thanks,

Scott

closet lights in all closets five square feet or larger.
All closet lights shall be recessed or fluorescent with a solid lens
covering the bulb.