Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's a good way to seal joints of plastic drain pipe?

I have several sections of 4 inch corrugated drain pipe that are pieced
together with several snap-on T connectors. All of this is
above-ground, and the problem is that they are leaking a noticeable
amount in certain places from where the pipe meets the T, and it is
causing puddling in an area tha getts muddy easily.

I only really need to fix the leaking in one area.

I was thinking about going around the outside of the joint a few times
with some really wide teflon tape, and then secure that with some duct
tape, but that was just my first thought.

Got any better ideas?

The stuff I'm talking about:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...egoryID=528152

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...9 0009+528106
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, and I was wanting to avoid using adhesive, as I may have to take it
apart a clean it out one day.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ShadowTek wrote:
I have several sections of 4 inch corrugated drain pipe that are
pieced together with several snap-on T connectors. All of this is
above-ground, and the problem is that they are leaking a noticeable
amount in certain places from where the pipe meets the T, and it is
causing puddling in an area tha getts muddy easily.

I only really need to fix the leaking in one area.

I was thinking about going around the outside of the joint a few times
with some really wide teflon tape, and then secure that with some duct
tape, but that was just my first thought.

Got any better ideas?

The stuff I'm talking about:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...egoryID=528152

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...9 0009+528106

Buy a roll of "Plumbers tape". It is a thick plastic tape in 2" wide rolls. It
looks like a giant roll of black electrical tape. Wrap it tightly (Stretrching
it well) a few time around the offending joints.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ShadowTek wrote:
Oh, and I was wanting to avoid using adhesive, as I may have to take it
apart a clean it out one day.

I haven't looked in that aisle at the borg lately, but my swiss-cheese
memory popped up an image of a clamshell clamp that went one corrugation
down from the joint in each direction, and physically trapped all the
parts. It was held together with a clip or bolt through an ear out one
side.

Of course I could be hallucinating again.

Maybe if they don't exist off the shelf (any more, at least) you could
fake something like that by slitting a fitting, and adding ears with
rustproof sheet metal and a pop riveter? Or even just a slit fitting
gusseting the joint, held in place with monster zip ties?

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ShadowTek" wrote in message
I have several sections of 4 inch corrugated drain pipe that are pieced
together with several snap-on T connectors. All of this is
above-ground, and the problem is that they are leaking a noticeable
amount in certain places from where the pipe meets the T, and it is
causing puddling in an area tha getts muddy easily.

I only really need to fix the leaking in one area.

I was thinking about going around the outside of the joint a few times
with some really wide teflon tape, and then secure that with some duct
tape, but that was just my first thought.

Got any better ideas?

The stuff I'm talking about:

Look under woodworking, dust collection, pieces and parts, hose clamp.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 20:58:19 +0000 (UTC), ShadowTek
wrote:

I have several sections of 4 inch corrugated drain pipe that are pieced
together with several snap-on T connectors. All of this is
above-ground, and the problem is that they are leaking a noticeable
amount in certain places from where the pipe meets the T, and it is
causing puddling in an area tha getts muddy easily.

I only really need to fix the leaking in one area.

It looks like I would need your zip code to see the product as
my local HD appears not to carry it.

I think I would try some silicon caulk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have several sections of 4 inch corrugated drain pipe that are pieced
together with several snap-on T connectors. All of this is
above-ground, and the problem is that they are leaking a noticeable
amount in certain places from where the pipe meets the T, and it is
causing puddling in an area tha getts muddy easily.

I only really need to fix the leaking in one area.

� � � � It looks like I would need your zip code to see the product as
my local HD appears not to carry it.

� � � � I think I would try some silicon caulk.

glue pipe together permanetely, install a clean out or 2 for future
access......